Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #1

Flagstaff 208 missing battery

We've just purchased a 2002 208 and it has no battery or battery box, but I found wires tucked into the tongue that indicate it had one at one time. The previous owners said that none of the 12 volt things work, even when plugged in and they thought the converter wasn't working. I'm thinking it wont work without a battery. Is this correct? If so, what would be the best source for a new battery bx/compartment and where would it have been mounted?
Robert Muench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #2

It will work with out a battery but most likely fuses are blown if the wires touched anything.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:39 PM   #3

No battery means there has been no breakaway to stop the TT.

Can you hear the converters fan running?
Old 10-24-2016, 07:46 PM   #4

If the converter is working it will power the 12V provided the fuses are blown. The battery boxes normally mount on a metal rack behind the propane bottles. Remember on Red or Black positive white or green neg. don't put in starting batteries get deep cycle or marine/deep cycle
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:56 PM   #5

The fuses I've seen in the converter all seem intact and no fan is heard running when plugged into 120v AC.
Robert Muench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Muench View Post
The fuses I've seen in the converter all seem intact and no fan is heard running when plugged into 120v AC.
Some older RVs need the battery hooked up, some don't.

Get a multimeter and test the battery cables while plugged into shore power.
That should show if the converter is charging.

Does the popup have electric brakes? If so, the law requires a hooked up battery to provide power to the breakaway switch.

Walmart has a variety of battery boxes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #7

The 206 does not have trailer brakes; so I'm betting the 208 doesn't have brakes either.
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #8

Near as I can tell from the factory literature, the 208 is a 10ft box in the Mac series, and had brakes as a factory option. The 3 way fridge was also a factory option, an ice box was standard. Less than 3K lbs GVWR, but over 1500 lbs, the 208 would have required brakes in some states, but not others.

If the brakes are installed, they often came with a very small garden tractor battery for the brakes only. The other electrical accessories (lights, optional water pump, optional heater, optional fridge) are run off the converter only, unless the original buyer opted for the optional full battery setup.

I would remove and individually test each fuse in the converter by measuring resistance across the fuse (should be zero). Also reset all the circuit breakers. Then with shore power hooked up and known good fuses, measure voltage at battery cables (should be 13.6 volts +/- 0.1V to charge battery). Lights should also work, along with any other 12V accessories.

You may have a good converter, but the ceiling lights not working because of a stuck/broken/mis-wired overhead power switch. This switch automatically turns off power to the lights when the roof is lowered. I don't know where the switch is located in your PUP. If you have a fold-down galley, the switch is usually there. If not, the switch is often along the top rails in one corner or another. If you have a porch light, that is a better test of 12V power than the overhead lights in a PUP.

Hope this helps.
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
Site Team

Excellent post, Fred.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #10

If you do have electric brakes, you should find a blue wire in the wiring run under the trailer, as well as a Break-Away switch on the tongue.

This is the wire harness and circuit breaker under my front frame.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, flagstaff