Old 10-17-2016, 10:15 AM   #11

Well Considering I bought it pulled it to the Campgrounds and parked it, frankly shouldn't loosen that fast. Not to mention should not have had an issue that fast especially something like that.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #12

Unfortunately, ALL of the average RV manufacturers are trying to remain competitive and make a profit. That means they expect their workers to work fast. This results in missed items. I used to work in the aeronautics industry and we were always telling our workers to slow down and do things right. It will take much longer to build something if you do everything twice. Of course, in our world there was rigorous quality control and critical operations had to be performed while a company and government quality control person watched. Most missed items would be caught by a quality inspector. We couldn't afford to buy an RV if they were built to these standards. If you are going to own an RV, you have to accept this or don't buy an RV. I know we spend a lot of money and expect everything to be perfect, but it is not. There will be mistakes. Some minor, some major. I think, for the most part, the major ones are few. Forest River is among the best.
So, I know this is not what you or I want to hear about our RV's, but that's just the way it is. I check electrical connections in my breaker box every year. There's a lot of vibration and bouncing. Plus, RV's typically see large temperature swings unless you are living in your full time. Wires extend and contract with temperature swings and can also loosen connections.
Unless you have deep pockets, an RV owner needs to be able to do many of their own repairs and preventative maintenance.

2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
[SIZE=2]2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #13

Well Parked it in the Campgrounds and these didn't loosen they just were not touched at all!!
Old 10-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #14

We hear you, and agree that QA should be better. But it is not. I buy a new rig and expect to spend the first year fixing what I can and letting a tech take several months to fix the rest. Been that way for all of our 5 rigs. Do I like it? No. But that is the way it is. I do believe our next rig will be a gently used one so maybe somebody else has worked the bugs out already. And yep.... I go over the whole rig once a year tightening and testing and we carry an entire tool box everywhere we go. But we enjoy our rig and always have a great time!!
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post
FirstPuma,
You do understand that an RV is subject to a lot of movement, jolts, and banging around...that as time goes on electrical connections loosen up, become worn, corroded, wiring covering stiffens, something rubs against something.

Even if it is 100% perfect out the door, various components and parts fail, and that the electrical system is the source of most failures and frustration.

Have you considered building your own so that the unit meets your standards...seriously, there are people who have built their own or completely refurbished an older unit.

Don't mean to light a fire here or insult you, just saying that RVs are well know to suffer lots of problems and are referred to as money pits.

Owning an RV is a luxury, custom item with membership in an exclusive club.

I hear the excuse of "lot of movement" but you can buy a car or truck that is going to go 100,000 miles and not have anything like the problems many RVs see after just 5,000. Wire, and connectors are shelf items that can function for years but an RV company would have to be willing to spend $50 a unit. Of course they could also offer a multi year warranty and not one that ends when you drive off the dealer lot but retaining customers is simply not something many RV companies or dealers are interested in.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #16

The concept of Quality Assurance is foreign to all RV manufacturers. They are still living in the 19th Century with an attitude that once it leaves the factory it is not their problem.

Here is a photo of an electrical connector that connects to the Electronic Throttle Body in my Honda.

Note the two splashes of paint on it? This means that two different inspectors checked and approved the connection as good. That means there is very little chance that the connection will fail and result in an out-of-control throttle situation.

Honda and Toyota kicked the Big Three in the teeth by giving attention to quality. Detroit is finally getting the message. I would love to see Japan target the RV market.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #17

Yeah here at work our shop needs to sign off twice it has been check and we also do the same thing to nut bolts and wires. Lives are on the line not worth messing around with. Here we also would have after checking the connections and signing off third guy comes through and coats the connection to prevent inadvertent arcing. Being an Engineer in the Automotive industry poor workmanship and quality like this is unacceptable and should be stood behind by the manufacturer who by the way still has not gotten back to me. Soon will file with the NHTSA with the issue as well.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #18

Until the day the Quality Control improves drastically, it is up to you to learn all you can, so you can do some of the troubleshooting yourself. I am on my 4th RV. The first one was an older PopUp. I learned a lot about systems with that one. It needed work and I felt I could do it. I found out I could do a lot more, than I first though I could.

Philos3 suggested taking a class on RV maintenance. I would also suggest that. There are now some basic courses online, so there really is no excuse for not taking at least those. This way, you can do some of the troubleshooting, and then suggest which thing(s) might be the culprit. If you leave it to the dealer, they will fix the first thing they believe is causing the problem, whether it really fixes the problem, or not.

I know this doesn't answer your problem, but short of going to court, the RV is yours and you'll need to keep it up, unless you want to park it in your backyard forever.

Talk to the dealer, then talk to Forest River. Give them a chance to work with you.
Be nice. I know it is hard,when things are really ticking you off, but it works.
If everything else fails, get a lawyer and go from there. That process will not be quick and most people don't win, but that is your right.

Lastly, learn what you can about the trailer and do some of the things yourself. It may not necessarily be fun, but it does become rewarding. Especially, when you've had it for 7 years and can still take it camping, while others are waiting to get work done at the repair shop.

Good luck.
42 nights camping in 2015
57 nights so far in 2016 (a record for us, but Still Not Enough!)
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #19
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Another thought....how did your rv get to the dealer? how loose is loose? and, no pic showed up...
Old 10-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #20

I LOVE that signature bob caldwell!

42 nights camping in 2015
57 nights so far in 2016 (a record for us, but Still Not Enough!)
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, forest river