Old 10-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #1

Forest River Electrical Issues

So I was having Speaker Crackling noises, the dealer replaced the Speaker, then the Radio Volume starts going up and down and Crackling comes back, I was sitting there yesterday having Coffee in my 4 month old Forest River built Puma 22 foot camper and the Cooling fan on the Inverter sounds funny so i opened the cover to clean it thinking it was dirty from dust cobwebs something and find the Electrical system is all melting the factory NEVER tightened the Neutral wires. Frankly how safe is the rest of the camper since this guy was either on vacation mentally or Drunk because who forgets to tighten EVERY single Neutral wire? I Emailed Forest River telling them I want a different camper this thing is Brand new and now just about lit on fire what else is not safe with it?

Hopefully the Picture comes through so everyone can see the Poor workmanship on this camper. I am disappointed, being my first camper and a Brand new one at that, if this isn't corrected with my satisfaction I will no longer be buying forest river products that is for sure.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
Site Team

Nice first post. I remember doing that. We will assume you have made contact with your selling dealership. Right?

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 85
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:54 AM   #3

Yes I have contacted Both sadly I don't feel the dealer is at fault and can't be too hard on them they shouldn't have to check every single camper they get in, and I am posting this because frankly who does not Double check electrical wiring!! Will keep people posted on the issue and if it is resolved satisfactorily. BUT also wanted everyone to know to check this wiring in their Camper because can't tell me they missed just one camper and I would hate for anyone to get hurt from it.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:56 AM   #4

Oh Yeah I have contacted John Jones <JJones@forestriverinc.com> Last time I talked to him I can't say I was satisfied with the answer when I asked for Dimensions to the location of the TV Backer so I was searching all over for it, So rather than put holes in the wall we just set the TV on the table for now. Yeah Having a very very disappointing experience so far to say the least.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:05 AM   #5

Understood and agreed. So, what can be learned?

The service technicians are trained to replace parts, not troubleshoot. The RVIA certified technicians can troubleshoot but few dealerships have one on the premises. Service wages are very low in this industry. That is why they replaced the speaker rather than troubleshoot for the cause of the problem.

Build quality is an issue for all RV mfgs - no longer buying a particular mfgs product will not necessarily solve your problems. Most mfgs rely on dealer PDI's and owner usage to uncover build quality issues. Newmar offers a $3,500 factory PDI. Many dealers claim they do a PDI, but don't.

The most effective solution is learning how to do RV preventative maintenance - one of the things you would learn is to check your wiring regularly to include tightening your ground wires.

Here are some thoughts next time a salesman ask what it will take to close the deal today. Don't expect them to want to deal with you thereafter and yes you would want this put in writing.

Dream: Can you assure me that my dream won’t turn into a nightmare?

PDI: Can you promise me that your PDI will catch all the things that should have be caught at the factory, so I don’t have to come back to you within the next 30 days to have them fixed?

Slides: Can you promise me the slides will work properly, they won't squeak, creak or leak?

Roof: Can you guarantee there will not be any leaks for one year from the date of purchase?

Owner training program: Will you teach me and my wife how to operate this RV safely? DMV licensing requirements?

Certified technicians: how many of your technicians are RVIA Certified Technicians? Can you assure me that a certified technician will do or oversee all the work you have done on my coach?

RV Service: Can you assure me you or someone else will get my RV serviced in days, not weeks, when I’m on the road?

Lemon laws: Are you willing to insert a provision in my contract that won't take away my right of return regarding the residential portion of the unit and if you can’t get something fixed within 30 days, I will therefore have the right to return the unit?
Old 10-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #6

I think you are setting your exceptions too high if you think they are going to give you a new rig over what you described. With that said I do believe the selling dealer should get with you and go over every inch of the rig to ensure things are correct.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #7

Unfortunately I am learning the hard way these things are built in a day by unqualified labor. The responsibility should never fall on the Purchaser to do the check, if it is going to we should get that money off or if an issues is found that Money plus the replacement should be given to us then for failing to find the issue in the beginning.

I am an Engineer and understand things get forgotten. BUT when it comes to critical things like wiring they are always double and tripple checked in our manufacturing facility on our Vehicles.

So I will not accept they rely on the dealer to check their work they need to send out a quality unit or don't ship anything at all. Am I upset yes I am but who wouldn't be if your kids are between it and the exit had it not been found in time and started a fire while sleeping.

Heck when I do wiring I ALWAYS pull on the connections to make sure they are secure ALWAYS...
Old 10-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #8

FirstPuma,
You are right, I agree that those should be the standards, but they are not the standards. Your choices follow.

There have been fires in RVs in the past and fires continue to break out. You can do preventative maintenance, purchase fire suppression systems, etc. You can go to the insurance web sites and read about the sources of RV fires.

I have taken service and inspection training classes, most RV owners just want to enjoy their dream and won't take those classes, some will - very understandable.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #9

If that is the case they can pull it completely apart and show me EVERY single Electrical connection is safe and put it back together to factory No stripped screws nothing.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #10

FirstPuma,
You do understand that an RV is subject to a lot of movement, jolts, and banging around...that as time goes on electrical connections loosen up, become worn, corroded, wiring covering stiffens, something rubs against something.

Even if it is 100% perfect out the door, various components and parts fail, and that the electrical system is the source of most failures and frustration.

Have you considered building your own so that the unit meets your standards...seriously, there are people who have built their own or completely refurbished an older unit.

Don't mean to light a fire here or insult you, just saying that RVs are well know to suffer lots of problems and are referred to as money pits.

Owning an RV is a luxury, custom item with membership in an exclusive club.

Tags
electric, electrical, forest river