Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 11
Funny smell from battery

Hey everybody. I have a surveyor 191t hybrid. Quick question about the battery i was plugged into power source and a funny smell started coming from my battery. Is there a place to add water to battery or is it shot. Only 2 years old. Thanks.

Sac3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
Head Rambler
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 3,481
If it's not a maintenance free battery, you pry the caps off the top and add distilled water up to the split ring molded into the case about 1/2" to 3/4" down from the top.

What you're smelling is most likely sulfur from the acid, so the battery may be shot. You can try adding water, but I'd disconnect the RV from power before adding it.

Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tobyhanna, PA
Posts: 125
One of my battery was shorted and I ended replacing both with Maintenance Free Boat and RV batteries. Didn't want to mess with distilled water and battery acid.
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
Senior Member
camaraderie's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,483
Agree with BamaRambler...but suggest you inspect water level closely before adding distilled...IF you see the metal plates don't have water over the top of them...chances are you damaged or killed the batts.
If the plates are covered...add the distilled water and charge by plugging in somewhere for at least 12 hours. THEN remove the negative cable from the batt for 24 hours.
Then take a voltmeter measurement at the battery terminals...12.6V would be great...12.4 not so much (loss of capacity) ...anything under 12.2 is a candidate for immediate replacement. MUST disconnect for 24 hours to get an accurate reading. can get a hydrometer (turkey baster) from the auto parts store pretty cheaply and test each cell in each battery after filling & fully charging which is the preferred way.
3rd a $20 load tester at Harbor Freight an test under load after fully charging.

All three methods work just fine.

If you find a problem with the battery..then you have to determine if it was murdered by neglect or a bad charger. If the'll soon have the same issue with a new battery. Easiest way with the new battery in to plug in somewhere and measure voltage AT THE BATTERY TEMINALS. It it is between 13.2V and 14.5 volts...all is well INITIALLY. Charge for 4-6 hours and you should then have a reading not in excess of 13.6V.
If might wanna have someone look at your converter/charger.
Good luck!
2015 Georgetown 280DS
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:33 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant
bikendan's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,214
Suggest that you check out the website "the 12 Volt Side of Life"
It's helpful for those who don't know much about 12v systems including the battery.
A pic of your battery would help or make and model of battery.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:38 AM   #6
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 11
Thnks everyone for all the help. Looks lke i need to buy a new battery.
Sac3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 8
I was thinking the same with my pair of 6 volts. So I I had an expert at Battery World check them for me. He said they were just fine. I pulled my trailer 4,000 miles a few weeks ago and they worked great. I try and keep them above 80 percent (about 12.5) with my generator when camping dry.
kirkwilliams2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
jtesta1's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Valencia Pa
Posts: 148
Sulfur smell is a sure sign of mossing causing an internal short between plates. The battery is toast.

jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.