Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #1

Funny smell from battery

Hey everybody. I have a surveyor 191t hybrid. Quick question about the battery i was plugged into power source and a funny smell started coming from my battery. Is there a place to add water to battery or is it shot. Only 2 years old. Thanks.
Sac3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Team

If it's not a maintenance free battery, you pry the caps off the top and add distilled water up to the split ring molded into the case about 1/2" to 3/4" down from the top.

What you're smelling is most likely sulfur from the acid, so the battery may be shot. You can try adding water, but I'd disconnect the RV from power before adding it.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #3

One of my battery was shorted and I ended replacing both with Maintenance Free Boat and RV batteries. Didn't want to mess with distilled water and battery acid.
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #4

Agree with BamaRambler...but suggest you inspect water level closely before adding distilled...IF you see the metal plates don't have water over the top of them...chances are you damaged or killed the batts.
If the plates are covered...add the distilled water and charge by plugging in somewhere for at least 12 hours. THEN remove the negative cable from the batt for 24 hours.
Then take a voltmeter measurement at the battery terminals...12.6V would be great...12.4 not so much (loss of capacity) ...anything under 12.2 is a candidate for immediate replacement.
NOTE...you MUST disconnect for 24 hours to get an accurate reading.
Alteratively...you can get a hydrometer (turkey baster) from the auto parts store pretty cheaply and test each cell in each battery after filling & fully charging which is the preferred way.
3rd Alternative...buy a $20 load tester at Harbor Freight an test under load after fully charging.

All three methods work just fine.

If you find a problem with the battery..then you have to determine if it was murdered by neglect or a bad charger. If the latter...you'll soon have the same issue with a new battery. Easiest way with the new battery in place...is to plug in somewhere and measure voltage AT THE BATTERY TEMINALS. It it is between 13.2V and 14.5 volts...all is well INITIALLY. Charge for 4-6 hours and you should then have a reading not in excess of 13.6V.
If not...you might wanna have someone look at your converter/charger.
Good luck!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:33 PM   #5
Site Team

Suggest that you check out the website "the 12 Volt Side of Life"
It's helpful for those who don't know much about 12v systems including the battery.
A pic of your battery would help or make and model of battery.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:38 AM   #6

Thnks everyone for all the help. Looks lke i need to buy a new battery.
Sac3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:16 PM   #7

I was thinking the same with my pair of 6 volts. So I I had an expert at Battery World check them for me. He said they were just fine. I pulled my trailer 4,000 miles a few weeks ago and they worked great. I try and keep them above 80 percent (about 12.5) with my generator when camping dry.
kirkwilliams2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:25 PM   #8

Sulfur smell is a sure sign of mossing causing an internal short between plates. The battery is toast.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery