Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #21

I would like to see manufacturers just run decent size cables (6-8 gauge) from the roof to the under side of the trailer. No brand name ports or connectors so that we're not forced to buy special connectors or remove what the factory installed.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:27 AM   #22
Trailer Park Supervisor

Amen to that PSU. But my understanding is such heavy gauge cables are not as important going from unregulated panel to a charge controller. It is AFTER the charge controller, after the voltage has been reduced, that line loss becomes more of an issue.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #23
Pa Groundhog

In a way is does. The amps that you run to the camper will dictate the gauge of wiring. Like I had said earlier, my inlet will only handle 10amps. It is wired straight to the battery. If you want to run 30 amps, then you are looking at a converter to change DC to AC so you can run things. You would split before the converter and run a controller for the batteries. That way they don't over charge. The wiring would be a lot heavier.https://www.windynation.com/jzv/inf/...ight-wire-size
PaGroundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #24

Use a voltage calculator and keep any runs to 2% voltage drop or less.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

What babock said. If you have different runs of different gauges, each run will act as a 'resistor', value dictated by gauge and length. The sum of these 'resistors' in series will determine overall line loss. Therefore, if you have a lighter gauge cable in the overall run (like my MC4 to SAE adaptor to plug into side of trailer), you can still calculate overall line loss. Thankfully mine is only about a foot long, so very little line loss. Did I get that right Babock?
Old 03-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
What babock said. If you have different runs of different gauges, each run will act as a 'resistor', value dictated by gauge and length. The sum of these 'resistors' in series will determine overall line loss. Therefore, if you have a lighter gauge cable in the overall run (like my MC4 to SAE adaptor to plug into side of trailer), you can still calculate overall line loss. Thankfully mine is only about a foot long, so very little line loss. Did I get that right Babock?
Sounds good. The most critical is the controller to battery.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #27

My rig came with the Solar adapter. I use it both for a Solar panel plug in and an outlet to run a water pump and maybe an inverter for phone charging etc. It is just directly wired to the hot and ground of the batteries. There is no controller or anything in the line other than a in line fuse. The big issue is determining the hot leg, and the ground when wiring up the male end. There is nothing to keep from reversing the polarity so you need to test the plug and be sure you wire the male end to correctly match the supplied plug in. I'm with everyone else that it would have made more sense to supply something more universal, but it is what it is. Amazon was the only place I have found to buy the male ends. It makes it nice when setup, that you don't have to run the wires through the compartment door to the batteries.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:55 PM   #28

hey guys, im looking into the 100Watt solar panel from Harbor Freight...199.00 and alot of times on sale for around 150.00
i have that connector too on our Forest river Salem...but read that i can run it directly to the batteries ...also heard if we want to watch tv at night ( not running our generator) that we needed an inverter to hard wire to convert....
1. dont know which one to get
2. dont know how or where to hard wire it...lol....
Attached Images

Traveling fools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
BTW Groundhog, if you add up the cost of all the 'accessories' you end up buying, you will have a stroke. Don't do it!
Are you suggesting that one might have purchased the "Luxury" model and not end up spending as much money as the RV they bought PLUS all the mods/upgrades?

Me, I'm never going to add it all up. I've already had a heart attack (and bypass surgery).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #30
Trailer Park Supervisor

I got mine pretty loaded from factory (the nice luxuries, like power tongue jack, power awning, an oven, etc. That's what I consider luxuries anyway, not counter tops made from tanzanite and mahogany trim, vibrating movie theater seats, etc). But then figured I NEEDED a pair of inverter generators, extra solar panel, propane fire pit, TPMS, and a hundred low cost items.....
Old 08-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling fools View Post
hey guys, im looking into the 100Watt solar panel from Harbor Freight...199.00 and alot of times on sale for around 150.00
i have that connector too on our Forest river Salem...but read that i can run it directly to the batteries ...also heard if we want to watch tv at night ( not running our generator) that we needed an inverter to hard wire to convert....
Let us know how well it works. I've seen that at HF too on sale for cheap and it comes with all sorts of connectors. Ill need solar for our 12V fridge.
Mizterusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling fools View Post
I've been using the 3 panel setup from HF for years and it functions well. We stay dry camping for 5 days or more and never have electrical issues, BUT, we generally don't use the TV. You will find the biggest issue with that setup is the awkwardness of the panels on the rack. It's a pain to assemble and disassemble. I keep mine on the bed in my 5ver when traveling. Can't imagine moving a 4 panel setup. 3 is about all I can handle now. The controller unit is nice with additional outlets for phone charging etc. I also bought a 750 watt inverter from HF. It works well. Could run my TV's with that, but when we go out, we play outside.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, solar