Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #1

Fuse

This fuse is no good. I thought until now that seldom does a glass fuse look good like this but be blown. [emoji849]. From now on I will check continuity before I install a fuse. I thought I had a blowen refrigerator power module. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9002.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	206641
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #2

Yep. Happened all the time with old cars. Would drive you nuts. While hooked up you can use a test light.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #3

In case you don't have a meter hold one end of the fuse between your thumb and first finger. Flick the other end of the fuse using your thumb and middle finger. If the fuse is blown the element will vibrate. Have seen quite a few of these type blows over the years.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Yep. Happened all the time with old cars. Would drive you nuts. While hooked up you can use a test light.
If you ever got caught without a spare one of these fuses a fired 22 rifle case was a good emergency fix. Clipped right into the old fuse holders and more than once used one to make the tail lights work on a couple of my old "beaters".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If you ever got caught without a spare one of these fuses a fired 22 rifle case was a good emergency fix. Clipped right into the old fuse holders and more than once used one to make the tail lights work on a couple of my old "beaters".
Fuses are to protect something and doing this could render a fuse useless because the circuit (item) it was protecting is gone. The old penny in the fuse socket mentality. Why did the house burn down? Great advice?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Fuses are to protect something and doing this could render a fuse useless because the circuit (item) it was protecting is gone. The old penny in the fuse socket mentality. Why did the house burn down? Great advice?
We aren't talking houses, just getting an old beater back home at night without getting stopped and getting a ticket. Did it possibly occur that maybe the reason the fuse blew was corrected (like a jack in the trunk pinching the tail light wire}?

FWIW, tubular fuses like shown are rarely used in motor vehicles anymore. More are the twin blade type, either mini or ATO type. Tubular fuses have been relegated to accessory items for the most part.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse