Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #1

Fuse box funky problems

Hi there. My furnace had been acting up, blowing fuses, so I had replaced them but the last time I went to replace it. The slide activates to try and slide in. Curious if this is something to do with the fuse box wiring close to the fuse box. Or if the faulty furnace issue may have melted some wiring and is crossing signals with the wiring to the slide. The slide works fine otherwise. I just can't use the furnace or ac. I have left that fuse out now. May try to pull the slide fuse out and place the furnace fuse in just for the use of the AC. Unless that's a bad idea.
Cliff.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
Site Team

It definitely sounds like shorted wiring. I wouldn't think it'd be close to the furnace, but stranger things have happened. I'd start by pulling the distribution panel/converter and checking the wiring behind it.

What RV do you have?

Where is the furnace located in relation to the slide?
Old 07-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply . It's a 2001 Sierra. The furnace is right beside the slide motor just under the fridge. Separated by a little wall, but wiring does continue through the separation.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
Site Team

In that case, I'd check that wiring also. It could have melted enough to short the conductors together.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #5

Ya. I started working to get at the furnace and move it over to have a look at the wiring. But I was running short of time so I put my phone in there and took a picture. At a glance of the photos I didn't see any obvious melting. But I had noticed one of the wires being wrapped around the copper pipe for the propane. I think you are probably right and it has more to do with the wiring right at the box. Maybe things were getting too hot in that area since I just kept replacing the fuse every time it burnt out.

Tags
fuse