Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #1

Fusible Link Breakers and wiring question

I have finally gotten around to replacing the trailer wire that I pinched in half last fall and had to do a temp repair at a rest area. While replacing the wire I decided to put in a plastic box instead of just wire nutting everything together like the factor did.

I have it all completed with the exception of one wire. That is the wire coming from the fusible link and connects to the black wire from from the trailer plug and the black wire in the trailer harness. The factory connected those two little wires to a battery cable size wire from the link. I have included photos. Does the wire coming from the fuse link to the two black 12 gauge wires need to be a battery cable or can I replace it with a 12 gauge wire.

In the photo you will see the big blue wire nut that had the two black wires with it.
2012 Wildwood 26BH XLite
20 Nights campled in 2011.
25 Nights Planned for 2012!
pandkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #2

Had problems with photos but here they are

Here is the photo of wirenut and the second photo is the wiring box that I am putting in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fusible Links.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	13351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire Box.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	13352  
2012 Wildwood 26BH XLite
20 Nights campled in 2011.
25 Nights Planned for 2012!
pandkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Wanderluster

FWIW - Electrical engineers design their circuits with a margin of safety, so if it was me, I'd think twice about downsizing a factory installed cable/wire.

Wire connectors that don't crimp are not intended for any installation where vibration can be a problem like an RV. Crimp connectors with a REAL crimper and forget 'em. If you don't use a cable crimper, the connection won't be as strong. Some folks solder their connections, but a short in the line can create enough heat to break the solder joint and if a mechanical connection isn't in place, another problem can be created.

Here's a short Youtube video by a guy that figured it out... Smashed connector test

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker