Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #1

GCFI Reset for 2015 Salem DBUD

Hey All,

This morning our GCFI outlets by the sink are not working. We had a lot of stuff plugged in and so I am assuming we just need to reset. However, I don't know where the reset button is? It must be connected with the outside outlet as well because it is not working. I've only seen them before on the electrical sockets themselves, I have checked fuse box again and will do a double check but do not see it there as well. Anyone know of any good hiding spots where the reset might be located? Thanks.
Smitty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #2

Most of the GFCI receptacles with the Reset/Test button I have seen were either located above the sink in the bathroom, above or near the sink in the kitchen, or in the storage bin of your big pass through storage. It's going to be the outlet in the list of one's that are not working that is closest to the distribution center.

It sounds like you are on the right track with troubleshooting your issue though I will add this.. Over amping a circuit, even on a GFCI will usually only trip the breaker in the panel. If you are tripping the GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter), it is usually indicative of a bigger issue, as in a device that is not properly grounded or a device that introduced a dead short on the circuit.
Bmbrady77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #3

OK... Will have another search.... We were running toaster and magic bullet shake maker in same outlet... And when I saw we, I mean not me! Anyway... Will keep searching. As well what you are saying it could possibly be an issue with a device that we plugged in? Or a possible camper issue? Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #4

Problem solved! Thanks Bmbrady77 I reset bathroom GCFI and I think that did it. I very much appreciate your help. Have a great weekend!
Old 07-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #5

Glad to hear it. You are most welcome.

To answer your other question, I don't think you have an issue with the camper wiring because it sounds like the GFCI circuit did it's job. The problem could very well have been the bullet and the toaster combined if they were to start at or close to the same time. Both of those devices have a coil (one a motor starter and motor windings and the other a heating element) that will present a short circuit for a micro second when initially started. This is called the "inrush" effect and it's resistance to the circuit will be near zero until an AC inductance is created via the current flow through the coil. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts to become commonplace with you having to reset the GFCI.
Bmbrady77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem