Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #1

Gen. Question

Hi, I have a 04 All American Sport 5th wheel toy hauler. I have an Onan 4000W Gen., out of a class A, mounted, as portable as it can get, in the back of my truck. My question. Do I start the gen. with the RV plugged in? Should there be a breaker at the gen.? Thanks
IHDRIDER00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #2

Do not start or stop a generator with a load on it. It is a very good way to fry a voltage regulator. Always start the genny, then plug into it, and reverse the process to shut it down. And yes you should have a breaker at the genny.
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #3

If you don't have the owner's manual for the Onan generator, you may be able to download it from their web site. The manuals for current production generators are there. It has good information on the circuit breaker along with a table with the wattage of typical RV electrical devices and maintenance recommendations.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #4

My class c is fully self contained for a reason, I try to make sure there is nothing turned on, but I never unplug my Onan when turning it on or off. That would defeat the purpose. Has never caused a problem and I use my generator way more then the average RV.

And yes there should be a breaker on your genny. I'm not looking at mine right now but I believe it's located to the right of the start/stop switch.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #5

I have a 2012 Micro Lite and this weekend I lost my power to the GFI outlets I took off the cover and found the 15 amp wire was loose so I tighten it and I was ok Just given a heads up
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #6

In general it is a BAD practice to plug, or un-plug, any connector/plug/socket if there is a load on it.

The load should be switched on/off with a switch, or breaker. First thing is to turn OFF the breaker at the output of the generator, plug it in to the trailer, start the generator, turn on the breaker to energize the trailer.

To remove, turn off the major loads like the air conditioner and water heater if you can. Turn off the breaker. Shut down the generator. Unplug the trailer.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOC View Post
In general it is a BAD practice to plug, or un-plug, any connector/plug/socket if there is a load on it.

The load should be switched on/off with a switch, or breaker. First thing is to turn OFF the breaker at the output of the generator, plug it in to the trailer, start the generator, turn on the breaker to energize the trailer.

To remove, turn off the major loads like the air conditioner and water heater if you can. Turn off the breaker. Shut down the generator. Unplug the trailer.
Perfect explanation!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
My class c is fully self contained for a reason, I try to make sure there is nothing turned on, but I never unplug my Onan when turning it on or off. That would defeat the purpose. Has never caused a problem and I use my generator way more then the average RV.

And yes there should be a breaker on your genny. I'm not looking at mine right now but I believe it's located to the right of the start/stop switch.
Physical unplug is not required but removing the load is. Many people turn off and start up with a load on but one day will be the day. A voltage regulator is not cheap. Also when you shut down you are subjecting anything running to a brown out/low voltage as the genny winds down. Also similar on start up.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post

More than likely you have a transfer switch
mshell56118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #10

There is an on-off switch behind the gen. fuel pump. It seems to turn off the 120V. Does anyone know how this is supposed to be used? Can I turn this off, start the gen., plug in then turn the switch to on? Thanks
Old 09-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHDRIDER00 View Post
There is an on-off switch behind the gen. fuel pump. It seems to turn off the 120V. Does anyone know how this is supposed to be used? Can I turn this off, start the gen., plug in then turn the switch to on? Thanks
That should be the breaker, yes that will work fine.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #12

Thanks Acableguy06, That's how I used it. It ran fine for about 4hrs. Then it started surging. I turned off all loads. Turned off the gen. Now I have no 12v to the fuel pump. Oil is fine. Everything I've read so far points to the board. Any idea? I'd like to be sure before I replace it. Thanks
Old 09-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #13

I think you should have a 10 amp fuse by the on/off start switch. Check that.