Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #1

Generator & battery charger

Can I run my 120v ship-n-shore charge at the same time as having the camper plugged into the generator. I know the on board converter will charge the batteries but the 120v charger will charge them faster. I would like to be charging the batteries while I use the other 120v outlets in the camper for charging our camera batteries. I have a honda 2000 generator.
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #2

When using an external battery charger, I would disconnect the negative battery terminal from the trailer, then connect your charger to the battery. That allows the battery charger to correctly manage charge rates/voltage during the charging process.

2013 Prime Time LaCrosse 322RES
2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty CC with 6.4l Diesel
"I've been coast to coast and there is noplace like where I am - right here and right now"
RoverDover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #3

I plan on having remote battery charging posts to charge the batteries, so I will switch off the positive and negative terminals ( isolate the battery )from the camper wiring system. This should work??? Do you think my honda 2000 can run both camper and ship-n-shore battery charger??
Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f150k View Post
I plan on having remote battery charging posts to charge the batteries, so I will switch off the positive and negative terminals ( isolate the battery )from the camper wiring system. This should work??? Do you think my honda 2000 can run both camper and ship-n-shore battery charger??
A slow charge is better for you batteries than a quick hi amp charge.

Depending on what converter you have normally there 55 amp and that should be more than enough to charge.

Didn't you post this before?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #5

No I have not posted this before. I did another forum search under ship-n-shore battery charger and found this.

Originally Posted by Rustymax
I have a double battery setup on my Lacrosse and I want to charge the batteries faster than what the converter or portable generator (special battery charging cable) is capable of doing. I have a “Vector” charger with digital smart control (DSC) for 3 stage settings, 15, 10, and 2 amp. The charger has a selection switch for wet, gel and AGM batteries. First I would like to know from the members is it your opinion that this is adequate sized charger or do I need a larger charging unit with more amps capacity?

This depends mostly on your batteries. The more the capacity; the higher the amps they can accept.

Awhile ago I wondered the same thing. I kept hearing a couple of different recommendations that were pretty close to these recommendations from Windsun.com

"Most flooded batteries should be charged at no more than the "C/8" rate for any sustained period. "C/8" is the battery capacity at the 20-hour rate divided by 8. For a 220 AH battery, this would equal 26 Amps."
Next, I thought I’d ask if plugging the charger directly into a 110 outlet, either on the portable generator or at the Campground power connection and then connecting the positive and negative alligator clamps to one of the dual batteries (batteries remaining connected to the trailer) is the best method to get a faster battery recharge? I want to be sure I don’t overload any camper circuits.

I also wondered this and have yet to find anything saying connected or disconnected. So, I just play it safe and disconnect my batteries (through a switch) when I charge them with my portable battery charger.

Before I forget, any recommendations for what model "Blue Sea" battery cut off switch is best for a double battery setup? I was thinking the 9003e,...suggestions.

For two 6-volts, the 9003-e or 6006-m, which is what I have, would work.

For two 12-volts, the 9001-e would work fine and provide more options (battery 1 or 2, both batteries or off).
Old 04-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sorry must have been another poster with same question.
Personally when we dry camp I let my gennie run for several hours checking on charge status and normally in three to four hours there charged. "2 batteries"
55 amp on board converter.

I just don't see the advantage with all the messing around it would take.
Again JMO

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by f150k View Post
You really only need to disconnect one lead from the battery to isolate it for charging purposes.

If you are in a hurry to charge the batteries (fast-charge), you are on the right path - the built-in converter will eventually charge the batteries, but much more slowly than a high-powered dedicated charger. As noted, the charger should be the only thing connected to the batteries when fast charging, allowing it's circuitry to accurately measure the charge rate and adjust the voltage accordingly.

If you aren't in a hurry, just let the built-in converter do it for you.

"I've been coast to coast and there is noplace like where I am - right here and right now"
Old 04-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #8

RoverDover, I had thought that all I need to do was break the positive lead. There should not be any problem with the ground still hooked up right?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #9

It's actually safer to disconnect the negative terminal because if the disconnected wire touches the frame of your trailer (or any other metal), it won't cause a spark/short circuit.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #10

RoverDover, I would use a switch rather than take the wire off, but I understand what you are saying.