Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
FloridaPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 257
Generator info

I was thinking about getting a generator for my new Rockwood 2306. Any suggestions on what size generator I should get, manufacturer, and where to keep it while running it?
__________________

__________________
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPhil View Post
I was thinking about getting a generator for my new Rockwood 2306. Any suggestions on what size generator I should get, manufacturer, and where to keep it while running it?
A lot of variables here.

Can you run a loud genny where u camp?
Do you want to run your a/c and other things?
Can you lift a big genny into your tv?


More info needed

Turbs
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
FloridaPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 257
I am willing to spend what is necessary to get model that is not as loud. I am able to pick up and move the generator when necessary and I would like to run the a/c and electronics.
__________________
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Site Team
 
acadianbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,915
You can find a gazillion threads on this subject on a search. I applaud you for your willingness to "go quiet". IMO, your best bet is two Honda EU2000i's; one of which should be a "companion" model. They are easy to heft; one at a time compared to bigger units that will be over 100 pounds. You can use just one if it meets your needs. You can link the two of them together for 4,000 watts if need be. That will run your AC should it come to that. Yamaha also makes some nice units but I don't know if they can be linked. The Honda companion is set up for linking. You may also find it cheaper to get two 2000's vs one 3000.
__________________
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/acadianbob/IMG_2757.jpg
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPhil View Post
I am willing to spend what is necessary to get model that is not as loud. I am able to pick up and move the generator when necessary and I would like to run the a/c and electronics.
A 2000 watt will be enough to barely run the a/c "and may not"
Two honda 2000's paired will do great but very pricey.
As a rule a 4000 watt and up genny is going to be loud and heavy.

I run a 5500 watt 6879 surge genny
But its both loud and heavy and we camp on private land and noise is not an issue.
It runs everything I could run on shore power.

Turbs
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Peachtree City
Posts: 236
I would get the yamaha or Honda 2000 and parallel them. It's the easiest on your back and they will do everything you want. I would just look for the best deal on a pair.
__________________
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
tzh99h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Warsaw,ON,Canada
Posts: 22
When you're shopping , just remember you're looking for an Inverter as apposed to a generator, if you are looking for the quieter models
__________________
tzh99h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzh99h View Post
When you're shopping , just remember you're looking for an Inverter as apposed to a generator, if you are looking for the quieter models
actually, he should look for an inverter generator. an inverter and a generator are two separate things.

the Gold standards are the Honda and Yamaha inverter generators.
IMHO, if you have the money, two 2000w H or Y units paralled, is the best way to go. you can go with the same thing but with cheaper ones made in China, such as Champion's 2000w inverter generators.
they weigh about 50lbs. each and if you don't need the a/c on the trip, then you only need to take one, since it'll run everything else.
otherwise you're talking about a generator between 100 and 130lbs.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South West PA
Posts: 2,947
I run 2- Honda 2000s in parallel with a home made extended run fuel system for extra run time. I have a Crusader 320 RLT with 50 amp service. Really happy with the results.

One benefit with the small 2000s is weight - about 50lbs.- . I can use 1 genny around my house and property for various odd jobs when needed. Ease of handling a big plus.
__________________
grayfox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
You can find a gazillion threads on this subject on a search. I applaud you for your willingness to "go quiet". IMO, your best bet is two Honda EU2000i's; one of which should be a "companion" model. They are easy to heft; one at a time compared to bigger units that will be over 100 pounds. You can use just one if it meets your needs. You can link the two of them together for 4,000 watts if need be. That will run your AC should it come to that. Yamaha also makes some nice units but I don't know if they can be linked. The Honda companion is set up for linking. You may also find it cheaper to get two 2000's vs one 3000.
I have the Yamaha 30SeB which I love. Truth be known if I had to do it over again I would get the 2 Honda EU2000i (with companion). 90% of the time I could have gotten away with running one. The fuel savings alone would have made the second generator free in two seasons.
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.