Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 03:26 PM   #1

Generator neutral ground plug?

I believe this is what I need and was wondering where I could purchase a reputable one. I have been trying to use an EU1000 with my trailer, which has a built in 30amp surge protector. I thought throwing the bypass switch on the surge protector was the right way to avoid the fault, but I have since discovered that doing that prevented the batteries from getting any charge.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!
Old 03-30-2019, 03:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Do you have a surge protector only, or does it cut power to the RV in case of open/missing neutrals or grounds?

If so , your inverter generator most likely has what is called a floating neutral (aka unbonded neutral). This will keep the surge guard or ems from allowing power.

You can easily make a ground-neutral bonding plug to get by this. Fellow member Mike Sokol explains how on YouTube or his website.

Let me get a link.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
Site Team

Read this link and watch the YouTube video Mike has linked at the beginning. Both of these will explain it all and the link shows how to easily make the plug for just a few dollars..

http://noshockzone.org/generator-gro...utral-bonding/

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #4

This plug doesn't even need to be brand new. If one has an old extension cord with three prong plug that might have been cut with a lawnmower or whatever, cut the plug end off about 6 inches from the plug. Strip back the outer insulation to expose the white, black, and green wires. Cut off the black wire flush with the outer insulation. Strip the remaining white and green wires back 1/2-3/4 inch then join them together with a wire nut. Wrap the wires and wire nut with some electrical tape.

You now have a "neutral grounding plug" for your generator.

If you want to make sure you always have it with your generator, just cut off the plug with more wire remaining. Connect wires as described above then loop the end with wire nut around generator handle and secure to body of cord with more tape. When unplugged the neutral bonding plug should just hang off the generator where it will be ready for future use.

A "no cost fix" for most of us that have a big collection of leftovers in our garage.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:18 PM   #5

This seems like a simple fix but I have heard there is a shock hazard when doing this. Any truth it this??? Also is am EMS actually necessary when using an inverter generator???
sailtrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailtrkr View Post
This seems like a simple fix but I have heard there is a shock hazard when doing this. Any truth it this??? Also is am EMS actually necessary when using an inverter generator???
I would think like any source of power there is a chance of a malfunction that could send and energy spike thru your system. An EMS would protect you from that. Chances are low IMO but if you have an EMS why not use it?
Don't see much chance of getting shocked.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailtrkr View Post
Not necessary for use with a generator. It is designed to be used with shore power. Some here will disagree.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:31 PM   #8

Home made bonding plug. (internal, without cover)

Name:   bonding plug.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  4.8 KB
Old 03-31-2019, 01:33 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Not necessary for use with a generator. It is designed to be used with shore power. Some here will disagree.
Not me!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Not me!
Me either.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:17 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradacc View Post
I believe this is what I need and was wondering where I could purchase a reputable one. I have been trying to use an EU1000 with my trailer, which has a built in 30amp surge protector. I thought throwing the bypass switch on the surge protector was the right way to avoid the fault, but I have since discovered that doing that prevented the batteries from getting any charge.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!
Ok, need to clarify though. The OP has stated he has a built in surge protector. He said he tried to bypass the surge protector but his batteries would not charge that way....so it does sound like he NEEDS to use the bonding plug in order to utilize his generator with HIS built in surge protector/EMS.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #12

Thank you for the replies everyone! I went ahead and got this guy:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No idea why the picture looks like a clutch, but the model number matched up with my searches and this is definitely what I got:
https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...g-model-44400/

So this weekend I'll give it a try and report back.

Thanks again all!
Old 04-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #13

EMS is good to have with a generator. I have seen mine kill power due to under voltage when the generator is shutting down (Honda). If using a constant speed noise maker unit you definitely should protect against over and under voltage.

Tags
generator