Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #1

Generator to the RV power outlet

Hello,
I just cleaned the power plug and shore power works no problem but when I use the generator and plug it into the RV I have smack it and make sure it's tight to get it to work. Do I need to get a new outlet or is their something else I can do to make sure I get a good connection. ever drive in 105 and the gen going on and off. I learned that making sure it's all the way in - is the problem but on bumpy road it can go on and off, think of using electric tape to make sure it stays tight.
Let me know if you have any thoughts on it -

Thanks
Djisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:32 PM   #2

I would replace outlet before it causes more problems.
merlinhomeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #3
Site Team

I agree with Merlin, and then I'd get some dielectric grease and put a tiny bit on the blades to help with corrosion. Also, check both male and female connectors to make sure they're clean and in good shape.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #4

i see that you have not made many posts so the rv may be new and still under warranty. i also understand that when you plug the shore power cable into a pedestal it seats tightly and works fine. but when you plug the same shore power cable into the onboard generator output receptacle it jiggles loose.

how does it feel when you plug into a pedestal? firm? how does it feel when you plug into the on board receptacle? does it feel loose or firm? it is possible that the on-board receptacle is ok but has loose power wires. easy to check by taking the faceplate off. OF COURSE, ENSURE THAT POWER IS OFF! look for any signs of arcing, shorting, or burning on where the wires connect to the receptacle terminals.

depending upon your experience with electricity you can do this yourself. if still under warranty the dealer should be able to do this in less than an hour (once the get to it). if doing it yourself, ensure that generator is not running. there have been many posts about faulty electrical caused by bad connections to receptacle terminals.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #5

You need a new female outlet. Loose connections cause fires.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #6

I recommend having a qualified electrician diagnose and repair the problem. There could be a problem in the power cord plug as the electric pedestal is stationary and not hitting bumps on the road. And if it was arcing in the generator receptacle, both the plug and receptacle may be damaged. There could even be a loose connection on the back of the generator receptacle since the wires are retained under screws that can loosen up. No need to use an RV dealer for the fix as any qualified electrician can make the proper repair.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:14 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies... Since we are leaving in a couple of days, I already bought new batteries for the house since when I bought it it was hooked up wrong. Thanks to you folks the batteries are hooked up right and working great. Now I spend 7K on a toad and $3500 extra to pull it - All the blue ox stuff including install. When it's plugged in everything works great, so I am going to use electrical tape to keep it firm. When I get back from the trip I'll get it fixed.. Money money money... Thanks for all for the help and will be at the beach soon. I'll be stopping quite a bit to make sure we are good on the connection. It's only a four hour trip and I have it hooked up to my 50 amp at the house for the last month with no problem, so it's not the plug. Yeah I got one installed for 1K too...
Djisle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, power