Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 09:22 AM   #1

Generator vs Truck to Charge Battery

I'd love to have a single portable generator (similar to Honda EU2200i) to run my Airxcel 48253C969 air conditioner (13.5K BTU, 1695 watts) but that doesn't seem to be available (my understanding is it takes 2 EU2200i to run an air conditioner). Since it seems I'll have to forego the A/C, the next best choice is to run my Fan-Tastic roof vent fan but that drains the house battery overnight so I need a way to charge it. Does anyone have experience charging the house battery with jumper cables from the tow vehicle? How long does it take to go from near 0% to 100% charge? Thanks.
jamoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

jamoody, I was able to get a pair of Champion 2k inverter generators AND the parallel connector for the price of one Honda. Something to consider. As for charging via jumper cables, it would take forever and be inefficient.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
Site Team

It would take a much longer time to recharge with jumper cables, than a generator.
Plus you'll burn much more fuel using the truck engine.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
It would take a much longer time to recharge with jumper cables, than a generator.
Plus you'll burn much more fuel using the truck engine.

I agree. And remember batteries when connected in parallel will equalize fast. Meaning one battery at 10, one at 14 and soon you'll be at 12 for both. Then the voltage regulator will sense increase in voltage and back off. "Smart chargers" are designed to hit harder longer for a faster charge.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, generator, truck