Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Generator's

Ok So after a great Memorial Day excursion, I am now going to be in the market for a Generator. I recall my dealer telling me when I first bought the RV awhile ago that we need to have a Inverter on the generator otherwise you can fry your components with power spikes. Is that even true?
After seeing other peoples Generators over the weekend, I think I saw 1 out of like 6 I looked at. I am not looking at spending alot of money on one, so with that said any suggestions? thanks!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #2

The inverter generators are typically much quieter. If quiet is important to you and your neighbors, spend the money and get the best you can. You won't regret it. It is an investment that will last you many years. See the link about inverter technology. I would highly reccomend a Honda or Yamaha.

Keeping the Decibels Down - How Inverter Generators Reduce Unwanted Noise

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #3

The pain of pulling out your wallet will soon pass, but the quality of a good quiet, safe, reliable gen will last for years and years. I now run a Honda EU3000IS after buying a budget generator and being just disapointed ( very loud, etc. ). Bought the Honda 3 years ago. Runs like a top.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #4

neighbors are not really the issue...it will be mainly used dry camping where the neighbors are the bears, squirrels and deer
Old 05-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolson60174 View Post
Ok So after a great Memorial Day excursion, I am now going to be in the market for a Generator. I recall my dealer telling me when I first bought the RV awhile ago that we need to have a Inverter on the generator otherwise you can fry your components with power spikes. Is that even true?
After seeing other peoples Generators over the weekend, I think I saw 1 out of like 6 I looked at. I am not looking at spending alot of money on one, so with that said any suggestions? thanks!
This is very definitely true. If your plan is to run modern TV's, microwaves, laptops,etc, or anything that is microprocessor (computer) controlled from a generator, then that generator MUST be an invertor-generator. The inverter portion of these generators converts the raw 110VAC into a pure (or nearly pure, at least) 110V sign-wave ac source, which the CPU's need. You may not necesarily "fry" your component(s) but they will not run properly.

...VTX-Al
Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #6

Over last 20 years I have been through a number of generators. My first one, I bought at a pawn shop. It was a 2500 watt construction type generator. It was very loud, even at the end of a 50' cord. I sold that one and bought a 4000 watt Yamaha construction type generator. It was slightly quieter but still loud. I sold that one and bought a Yamaha 2400 watt inverter generator. Very quiet and very dependable. Very economical on fuel. I recentley sold it and bought a Honda eu3000is generator. (The Yamaha 2400 was struggling to start my AC, even with a hard start capacitor.) This Honda is even quieter than the Yamaha 2400! I am very impressed with the Honda. I guess my point is, if I had it to do all over again, I should have bought the Honda to start with. It is tough to go wrong with the Honda or Yamaha generators. You will be hard pressed to find a bad review on either one.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #7

Also bear in mind that many of the invereter generators are able to parallel another like unit, so if you are starting on a budget and want minimal use/expense this year, you can buy another next year & double your available power.

Honda/Yamaha are two I know that support this. I bought an EU1000i originally, but after some use upgraded to an EU2000i. I may buy the Companion version next year to parallel for 4000W and bonus - it has the 30A recepticle built in!
2005 Surveyor SV-230
Bennington Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #8

While you don't absolutely need a inverter type generator you electrical appliances will definitely run better on them. This also means they will last longer too.

The contractor style generators do not regulate frequency or amplitude very well. Regulating amplitude (voltage) and frequency gets expensive.

These contractor gensets set their frequency from the revs the engine turns. So when you need more power the engine revs up, so the voltage goes up as does the frequency of the voltage.

This is just fine for basic lighting, fans, and a variety of power tools (why they call them contractor grade). The pickier the appliance, the less suitable these gensets are.

The inverter type generators are DC powered devices. The generator supplies DC power to the internal inverter. The inverter is smart enough to correct for load and frequency. When the load increases, the DC generator ramps up to meet demand and everything stays stable.

Good clean power keeps devices running well for a very long time. The mainframe computers on the cleanest power have the best MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) of all the mainframes I have kept running.

Another thing to point out is you can get by with a smaller inverter genset than a contractor's grade one. I know I could run my old trailer on a Yamaha 2400IS no problem. However, the old 3KW contractor genset never could handle the AC. When I hooked up to 4KW unit it worked just fine.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolson60174 View Post
neighbors are not really the issue...it will be mainly used dry camping where the neighbors are the bears, squirrels and deer
You won't like the noise either . . . . .
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
While you don't absolutely need a inverter type generator you electrical appliances will definitely run better on them. This also means they will last longer too.

The contractor style generators do not regulate frequency or amplitude very well. Regulating amplitude (voltage) and frequency gets expensive.

These contractor gensets set their frequency from the revs the engine turns. So when you need more power the engine revs up, so the voltage goes up as does the frequency of the voltage.

This is just fine for basic lighting, fans, and a variety of power tools (why they call them contractor grade). The pickier the appliance, the less suitable these gensets are.

The inverter type generators are DC powered devices. The generator supplies DC power to the internal inverter. The inverter is smart enough to correct for load and frequency. When the load increases, the DC generator ramps up to meet demand and everything stays stable.

Good clean power keeps devices running well for a very long time. The mainframe computers on the cleanest power have the best MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) of all the mainframes I have kept running.

Another thing to point out is you can get by with a smaller inverter genset than a contractor's grade one. I know I could run my old trailer on a Yamaha 2400IS no problem. However, the old 3KW contractor genset never could handle the AC. When I hooked up to 4KW unit it worked just fine.
Well, I agree with the majority of what you say; if you can
afford the inverter type, get it.

But I don't think that we should make the blanket assumption
that all electronic gear will be harmed by contractor type;
that is simply false. As one example I have been tent camping
with a Champion type (contractor) genset for years and using
it with my notebook extensively. No harm at all.

Why is that? Well many modern electronics - like my notebook -
have "brick" type power supplies that work just like an
inverter genset. That is, they take an AC input with a wide
range of voltages and frequencies (think US and Europe),
convert it to DC, turn that back to very high frequency AC,
pass it thru high frequency Xformer to make low voltage AC,
then rectify and regulate that......

The input can vary greatly and the output will be rock stable.
Many modern devices use these supplies instead on the old
linear type for this reason as well as, size, weight, and cost
savings.

There are so many different type electronic devices that
a blanket statement is just not appropriate. If you know
the type of devices that you will use, that may, or may not,
dictate which type of genset is appropriate for your usage.....

cheers,
johnd

Medical research shows that men have a "biological clock" too. The older we get, the greater the NEED to drive a TRUCK!
dnaraG_1M is offline   Reply With Quote