Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 10:08 PM   #1

Getting error on inverter, not powering fridge

I am in need of some help. I had bought a 2017 Shasta Phoenix 392BL. We have a Hisense residential fridge and WFCO 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter; WF-5110HP. Since we bought the camper, I have yet been able run the fridge on battery. I push the button at the top, of the inverter, which I believe turns it on, I get a green light for 2 seconds, an orange light, for a second, and then a red light with the digital display reading E04. I tried resetting as per tech from WFCO, by removing the negative line from the battery. Did not work. I took the camper to the dealership, they tested the inverter. They said that the inverter was testing ok. Ran the fridge off the inverter and also shore power. They said everything worked fine. I bring the unit home... unable to get fridge or inverter to work. What am I doing wrong?? Fridge works on shore power. The inverter is connected to one 12 v battery. I really need help I am so frustrated. I had also charged the battery to see if that would make a difference. No luck. Please help.
Putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:37 PM   #2

Is the gas turned on?
JCDMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:25 PM   #3

A gas powered inverter, now that is a novel idea.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:22 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDMeyer View Post
Is the gas turned on?
???
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:27 AM   #5

1000 watts does not sound like enough to run a residential size fridge.

My thinking was that like some RV refrigerators (mine) also run on Propane.

I didn't read your question thoroughly and didn't realize that you had a residential size refrigerator. My experience is that you'll need a minimum of 1500 watts to run a residential size refrigerator.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:35 AM   #6

Did you ask them how it worked? Did you ask them to show you how to control it? If it tested fine at the dealer, you are either doing something wrong or something is set wrong. I would call them and have them walk you through the correct operation of the unit. The lights that you write about indicate functions and the E04 is probably an error code, but I am sure that it is all in the user's instructions.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:44 AM   #7

I looked for the manual for your inverter. E04 is a temperature overload. Solution = lighten the load.

I could be wrong but 1000 watts is not enough to run a residential size refrigerator.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #8

http://www.newcastlesys.com/mobile-w...power-packages
Old 05-16-2017, 07:29 AM   #9

1000 watts can do it. In fact, FR used a 1000 watt inverter until the 2015 model year when they switched to a 2000 watt unit. My reefer generally draws only about 650 watts when running.

2015 335DS
Old 05-16-2017, 07:40 AM   #10

Something is causing a temperature overload.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:41 AM   #11

Interesting that others have had exactly the same issue with that inverter and returned it to the factory as a bad unit. Now...that begs the question that perhaps the dealer didn't rally verify that it worked? That wouldn't be the first time either. The sequence that you describe is an inverter event. If you disconnected both the DC and AC power to the unit for 15 minutes and the problem persists...sounds like a bad unit.

2015 335DS
Old 05-16-2017, 07:50 AM   #12

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDMeyer View Post
1000 watts does not sound like enough to run a residential size fridge...My experience is that you'll need a minimum of 1500 watts to run a residential size refrigerator.
A) you obviously don't know that 1,000 watt inverter will EASILY power a residential fridge, otherwise they wouldn't have installed it at the factory, and the dealer wouldn't have seen it work properly! my WHOLE coach runs on a 2,000 watt Magnum inverter - I'm quite sure that a dual battery coach with 1,000 watt Inverter is designed to easily handle a single item.

B) the question was not about Propane, it is about the inverter - stay on topic - residential fridges do NOT run on propane!

... to try to give an answer to the original dilemma, I believe it's probably that you don't actually have the Inverter turned ON, you may have to press and HOLD the button to power it on.
....if not, then it could be that your batteries are depleted, thus the 'orange' light indicator, though this would be strange since you said the dealer got the inverter to work.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #13

there is almost nothing you can do wrong. the inverter has an on/off switch. that's it. the fact that you are getting error code implies something is wrong. it is also funny that you are getting a temperature fault (e04) as soon as you turn the inverter on. I would think it would take some time for the temperature to rise to the fault level. I would go back to the dealer and have them show you that the refrigerator runs on the inverter. make sure that they fully disconnect shore power when they do this. i'm wondering if they had shore power hooked up and the refrigerator ran. then they pushed the on button on the inverter and it was still running so they said the inverter was ok. it would still be running from shore power if they did not disconnect it. just a guess.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #14

Other Items connected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putz View Post
I am in need of some help. I had bought a 2017 Shasta Phoenix 392BL. We have a Hisense residential fridge and WFCO 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter; WF-5110HP. Since we bought the camper, I have yet been able run the fridge on battery. I push the button at the top, of the inverter, which I believe turns it on, I get a green light for 2 seconds, an orange light, for a second, and then a red light with the digital display reading E04. I tried resetting as per tech from WFCO, by removing the negative line from the battery. Did not work. I took the camper to the dealership, they tested the inverter. They said that the inverter was testing ok. Ran the fridge off the inverter and also shore power. They said everything worked fine. I bring the unit home... unable to get fridge or inverter to work. What am I doing wrong?? Fridge works on shore power. The inverter is connected to one 12 v battery. I really need help I am so frustrated. I had also charged the battery to see if that would make a difference. No luck. Please help.
I would wonder how the fridge is connected to the inverter? Is it a dedicated line, or are you using the inverter to power the shore line? I would plug an extension into the inverter and the fridge into it and see if it works (if you can) else make sure there are no other power draws. Good luck! Hope you get it solved.
smfranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #15

Interesting that you have a 1000W and my Cardinal came with a 3000 that just powers the residential fridge.
I also had E04 and E 01 errors pop up sometimes. FR replaced the inverter for me.
If you get an error code the inverter is turned on.
My inverter has a GFCI. If yours does make sure it hasn't tripped. I had that problem too and ultimately replaced the GFCI on my own.

Good luck!

Bill
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #16
Site Team

It bothers me too that it throws a code almost as soon as it's powered on.

According to the manual, the red light means a inverter failure.

I'm like Scott, I'd have to say that the dealer didn't test it at all. I'd take it back to the dealer and have them show me that it worked in the unit running the fridge.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #17

I know that it is a pain to hitch up and take it back, but if it is defective they are going to want to see it and if it isn't at least you will know what you are doing wrong. Either way it gets solved.

2015 335DS
Old 05-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #18

May need to cool unit below 82F. Small fan or you can route the AC duct into the area where your inverter is located.
richard6335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #19

I'm not familiar with the inverter, ok, I had to look...

Several thoughts, its enough to run a fridge...unless
-there's a bunch of other stuff running
-its a super simple inverter with no soft start capability and the compressor startup exceeds to 1000W/80A DC capacity. It is fused at 1440W (12A AC) so this suggests almost no surge capacity...
-I'm not familiar with the error codes, but is it possible your battery has been abused or beat and its dropping to 10V under load? 1000W at 10V is a 100A DC draw...
AB_SP295BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #20

fuse

Depending on your comfort level there is a fuse that may be worth inspecting/replacing...it's referenced here:

http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...ors-Manual.pdf
AB_SP295BHS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, inverter, power