Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #21

One of the best small engine mechanics I have known tells me to use synthetic oil and non-ethanol gas for Honda generators, power saws, weed eaters, lawn mowers , etc. He says that he stays busy because of ethanol gasoline users.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #22

What most people don't know is that ethanol is VERY corrosive. That's why all new cars have stainless steel fuel lines and associated equipment. I try and keep some 92 Octane non oxygenated around for the chainsaws and other small engines. I'm not to worried about the Honda generators as long as I drain the carburetors on them as soon as we get home from a trip. It only takes a minuet to do.
kcjoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #23
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcjoe1 View Post
What most people don't know is that ethanol is VERY corrosive. That's why all new cars have stainless steel fuel lines and associated equipment. I try and keep some 92 Octane non oxygenated around for the chainsaws and other small engines. I'm not to worried about the Honda generators as long as I drain the carburetors on them as soon as we get home from a trip. It only takes a minuet to do.
X2
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:01 PM   #24

I use (Star Tron) in our Reserve Gas cans for the (Power Outage Times)! I try to use it often enough that it is a little Fresh? Hard to get Fuel when the Gas Stations need Elect.also! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #25
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I use (Star Tron) in our Reserve Gas cans for the (Power Outage Times)! I try to use it often enough that it is a little Fresh? Hard to get Fuel when the Gas Stations need Elect.also! Youroo!!
Got a garden hose? Isn't that par for the coarse.. the one thing the service stations should have, and don't.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANShark42 View Post
Bought a Honda EU2000i and a EU2000i companion for when we boondock. Getting ready to fire them up for the first time. Already purchased magnetic dipsticks and oil change gizmo for them. Also - thinking about adding an hour meter, as I like to know how many hours my equipment has on it, for maintenance, etc. Any hints/tips/suggestions on the "proper" way to do so? Type of oil? Gas additives? Etc...

Any help would be appreciated.
Try Googling Tiny Tach. Purchased one for our outboard motor.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:39 AM   #27

If you're dealing with a new engine, break it in with whatever oil you intend to use long-term. So start with synthetic, change after break-in period, then stick with synthetic. Or start with dino, then stick with dino. But if you start with dino and then switch to synthetic, you may get some oil seepage due to the different viscosities/flow rates, etc. To me, synthetic is cheap insurance for all my engines.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:44 AM   #28

What I installed...

Amazon.com: 08181-ENM-036AH Original Honda Hour Meter: Industrial & Scientific

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:29 PM   #29

Type of Oil for your Eu2000

Not knowing your location or the access you have to a "Camping World" store, If one is near you or on your travel path you might stop there. They sell the "genuine" Honda small engine oil with the additives that Honda says will help operate your generator or small engine better. I don't know if true or not but if I'm ever asked about type of oil I always have a quart of the labeled "Honda" brand to show them. And the other RV'er was right always have a quart of oil on hand. It it doesn't save you it might save your fellow camper from a bad trip. My repair center advises that if you just start them up and run them once a month it will keep the fuel system clean and the engine in great operating shape.
Chrisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #30

Starting once a month would go along with what I was told when he said any storage longer than a month requires you to drain the fuel bowl.

As for oil, Honda, in the manual states the SJ or greater grade and recommends 10W30, and due to Magnuson-Moss Act, you don't have to use Honda's branded oil to stay in warranty.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 04-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #31

Once I'm done camping for the year which is usually the last part of October I pour the gas out of my generators, drain the carb bowls and change the oil. The generators then will sit until April when I start using them around the house. There are a LOT better oils out there then Honda oil. That would be like using Harley oil in your Harley. There are better oils for them too. I've been using Synthetic oils for a lot of years and when I do have to tear an engine down I never find any sludge in them because of the oils I use. No, I don't use the same oil on all of them. I do the research and determine what oil is best for the application. Try this test too. Take a quart of your Honda oil and then take a quart of Mobil 1 and try pouring them out when it's 20 below 0. There's a big difference on how they flow. This is the same if you have this oil in an engine. It has trouble moving right away and this is when you have the most wear in an engine. There is a lot more to look at when selecting oils but that is too long a list to go through here. Cheers.
kcjoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:53 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickiedooFlagman View Post
Try Googling Tiny Tach. Purchased one for our outboard motor.
I had a Tiny Tach on an old John Deere I had that didn't have an hour meter. It worked well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
This is the one I'm leaning toward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisser View Post
Not knowing your location or the access you have to a "Camping World" store, If one is near you or on your travel path you might stop there. They sell the "genuine" Honda small engine oil with the additives that Honda says will help operate your generator or small engine better. I don't know if true or not but if I'm ever asked about type of oil I always have a quart of the labeled "Honda" brand to show them. And the other RV'er was right always have a quart of oil on hand. It it doesn't save you it might save your fellow camper from a bad trip. My repair center advises that if you just start them up and run them once a month it will keep the fuel system clean and the engine in great operating shape.
There is a Camping world in Bowling Green Ky, a couple of hours south of us. We get down that way every few weeks. Been wanting to stop in there soon. I do plan to carry an extra quart in the TT. Good insurance and/or good neighbor! Win/Win!

REALY appreciate everyone's help with this. Bought 3 quarts of Valvoline Full Synthetic 5W-30 Oil from Rural King. Also got another Justrite 5 gallon gas can. It's a yellow (diesel) can so I can tell the difference at a glance. I don't have any diesel equipment so there won't be any confusion. Drove 30 minutes across town and filled it with 91 octane, non-ethanol. I think I'm GTG. Gonna get em started up today.
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #33

After draining out all the fuel (which was fresh in April), disassembling the carb, cleaning it with carb cleaner, and making sure all passages are open. Then installing new seals/gaskets and re-assembling and installing to the generator.
I then filled the tank with 100 % fuel (no ethanol), with recommended amount of Sea Foam mixed into the fuel, and letting it idle for about a half hour it purrs better than new.

If only my old Holley carbs, back in the 70s were as easy....

Tags
first time