Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #1

GFCI keeps popping

We have to keep reseting the ground faults the one in the bedroom sink pops after you shut of what ever is plugged in and drawing power, the one in the bunk bathroom is only powering the outside fridge. Does this indicate that we might not be plugged into a properly grounded park plug? Also we are 50amp plugged into a new 30amp converter cord.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:38 PM   #2
Roger and Paula

It pops when you unplug? Now our refrigerator was wired through the sink GFI.

Couple of things. First, you are running 30 amps or 50 amps? If running 50 amps, i would think you need a 50 amp cord. If the GFI is popping, you are getting a surge. You may not have a good ground on that circuit. Alternately, a GFI can wear out especially as it is not a dedicated circuit, but is a 'through' circuit.

I would see if you have the same issue if you are plugged directly into a 50 amp service. Tat should tell you if it is the cable.
Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstrahan View Post
It pops when you unplug? Now our refrigerator was wired through the sink GFI.

Couple of things. First, you are running 30 amps or 50 amps? If running 50 amps, i would think you need a 50 amp cord. If the GFI is popping, you are getting a surge. You may not have a good ground on that circuit. Alternately, a GFI can wear out especially as it is not a dedicated circuit, but is a 'through' circuit.

I would see if you have the same issue if you are plugged directly into a 50 amp service. Tat should tell you if it is the cable.
It is a 50 amp trailer and only available plug is a 30 right now, outside fridge is on the circuit. We have a gen in storage I can try later this week if that might be the issue.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:34 AM   #4

Is a through circuit one that operates multiple plugs? If so then that is what I have and can I get a replacement at the homedepot or are they RV specific?
Old 01-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojojojo View Post
Is a through circuit one that operates multiple plugs? If so then that is what I have and can I get a replacement at the homedepot or are they RV specific?
Not RV-specific. Can pick them up at the big box stores. Get one that indicates that it's a low-profile model because that is what will fit the shallow box used in every camper I've ever seen. I've had to replace them in every camper I've ever owned equipped with them at least once.

Regarding diagnosis, personally I would be inclined to plug in an outlet tester to make certain it's not an issue with the circuit wiring. The electrical work always leave much to be desired in campers!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:09 PM   #6

If you can try a different outlet for the main power cord. Happened to me at a park last summer. Plugged into a suspect 30 amp park supply and it tripped my GFCI. Plugged into a different one and there was no problems.
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #7

Every RV owner should buy a non-contact voltage tester and outlet tester. Together they cost about $30 and can literally save your life. Before I started doing this, one day my kids washed our camper in their bathing suits and later I went out to the camper to get something and got zapped when I grabbed the door handle. The kids could have been killed. It turned out to be a bent ground pin on the 30 amp extension cord I was using, which I usually didn't use at home.

Test every single time you plug the camper into an outlet! Both tests take less than a minute, total. Mike Sokol has an excellent safety series about RV electrical safety, a few of the important points are at the links below.

http://www.noshockzone.org/rv-electrical-safety-part-iv-–-hot-skin/

http://www.noshockzone.org/are-little-shocks-ok/

http://www.noshockzone.org/category/rv-safety/

Doing these tests would catch problems like the ones mentioned above.
Honda EU3000is inverter-generator
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote