Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 9
GFCI Trips w/ Condensation

Since day one I have had problems on rainy days with a sensitive GFI in my bathroom (Sierra 5th Wheel) - which also supplies the kitchen outlets. Usually I had the canopy retracted and thought it was getting rainwater in the outlet. Yesterday I had the canopy down (which protects the outlet) in a rain storm and the outlet was wet !!! As was the speaker above it. Everything around it was dry. I first thought I had a roof leak and there was water in the walls. But now I believe the air conditioned air is leaking out and forming condensation - and tripping the GFCI. This is a two AC RV and I think the bedroom AC is the culprit.

When the weather is dry for 8-12 hours, it dries and all is well again.

Not sure how to fix this.
__________________

__________________
Dennis_TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #2
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,568
You can change where the condensation from the AC runs by slightly lowering the corner that you want the water to run off.
As for the moisture tripping the GFI, I would check the seal around the outlet cover of the outside outlet. Even if you control the AC runoff, you will have times when rain or fog will get on the outlet and should not trip the GFI.
__________________

__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #3
Left Coast
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: vancouver,washington
Posts: 15,649
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Could you add a 'dam' of Dicor on roof where it doesn't show from ground?
__________________
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,031
The clue is Speaker above is also wet! You have a 21' awning look for a Leak where the 2 awning Tracks meet,clean that area from Roof access and place a small Gutter patch of Eterna Bond inside to bridge the Gap! Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:00 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 84
I have a hemisphere 5th wheel and had the same problem,i ended up changing all the recepticals on the circuit the gfci is on with regular household recepiticals...problem solved!!!!Those cheap plugs they use in these units go open and cause the gfci to trip.....
__________________
Save a beer for me!!! Happy Trails....Be Safe....
sunnyinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 9
I wasn't clear - it isn't condensation from the A/C on the roof --- I suspect it is cold air from the inside of the RV escaping through the 110VAC receptacle and the speaker -- but I also found a slight gap above the area in the area where the two awning tracts meet as yooroo suggests above. I'm going to seal that today and see if that works. I have a Weber grill sitting right there and it is also covered with moisture. I'm scratching my head.
__________________
Dennis_TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_TN View Post
I wasn't clear - it isn't condensation from the A/C on the roof --- I suspect it is cold air from the inside of the RV escaping through the 110VAC receptacle and the speaker -- but I also found a slight gap above the area in the area where the two awning tracts meet as yooroo suggests above. I'm going to seal that today and see if that works. I have a Weber grill sitting right there and it is also covered with moisture. I'm scratching my head.
Dennis,wrap the little Eterna Bond patch around a pencil and place it in the Cleaned/prepared gutter area,then use to form patch! Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:33 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 9
leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Dennis,wrap the little Eterna Bond patch around a pencil and place it in the Cleaned/prepared gutter area,then use to form patch! Youroo!!
There was quite a hole there.....actually, a 1/8 in slot - about an inch long

I used water weld putty.....and we are getting 3 inches of rain on Friday so it'll be a good test.

I'm still wondering if the A/C is leaking through there and cooling the metal parts which then get condensation. The A/C air is dry, however, so it would have to be just cooling.'
__________________
Dennis_TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_TN View Post
There was quite a hole there.....actually, a 1/8 in slot - about an inch long

I used water weld putty.....and we are getting 3 inches of rain on Friday so it'll be a good test.

I'm still wondering if the A/C is leaking through there and cooling the metal parts which then get condensation. The A/C air is dry, however, so it would have to be just cooling.'
As long as your water putty didnt make a Dam like the Factory putty you should be good,the channel is a gutter and should be open flowing end to end! Youroo!!
__________________

__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.