Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #1

Red face GFCI will not reset

Looking for some advice. I have a brand new rockwood signature 8293 IKRBS and of course while taking it cross country I run into an electrical issue. I was at one of the over night stops on my journey and I hear a pop in the cabinet behind the electrical box. Next thing I know, half of my outlets have stopped working and one of the two GFCI outlets in the trailer will not reset. Obviously, all nonworking outlets are branched off that GFCI that won't reset, resulting in losing half the power outlets in the trailer. So trouble shooting begins!
I check the breaker and it has not flipped. I flip it off anyways, wait 30 seconds and flip it on. The GFCI in the bathroom continues to work, the one in the island still will not reset. So I open up the outlet, and unlplug the two wires leading off the GFCI in hope the issue lies in one of the branches and hoping I can reset the GFCI with just the main power going into it. No luck. So, I purchase a new GFCI outlet and change out the one in the island. Still won't reset. So my next assumption is that the issue lies between the GFCI and the breaker box. I know there is a panel that opens up behind the breaker box in the trailer that has a few more electrical boxes for the landing gear and other electrical devices. My hope is their a fuse somewhere in there I can replace and get this power back to normal since that is where I originally heard the noise prior to losing the outlet.
And yes, I already called the warranty department and we had an exhausting talk about me bring my trailer into service after the holiday since I am currently living in it far from home for two weeks. Any help with an electrical diagram or advice on what the issue is, would be appreciated. Happy Holidays all and thank you for your time.
colman140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #2

Were you deploying any of the (3) slides when this started? The (Kitchen) slide might have (Pinched/broken) the feeder wires! Just a wild guess! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #3

Have you tested to see if there is power to the line side of the GFI? Possible issue with the breaker or main panel or as stated in previous post broken wire.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #4

I agree you need to test the LINE side of the GFCI to see if you have power. Even with the breaker appearing to close normally (on) it may not be.
Honda EU3000is inverter-generator
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #5

x2 on what Youroo said, I've seen it happen. They make the wire bundles that go out with the slides just long enough to make things work sometimes. I just helped my neighbor this summer actually add some wiring to the harness because his was so short it kept breaking the connector. We also found some pinched wires too.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #6

Had the same problem in my Georgetown. One of the wire nuts was not properly installed and came loose. The junction box was behind the circuit breaker box and a pain to get to. However, I managed and reinstalled the wire nut properly.
jamesrnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
Happy Campers

GFCI Test

Home improvement stores have outlet tester.

You could have an open ground, or your neutral could be reversed with the ground wire. The tester is a cheap way to eliminate these possibilities.
Some Yorkies
Denny and Suni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #8

GFCI wont reset

Had the same problem I my Cedar Creek tried everything you did and more, the problem was loose white wire in the breaker panel tightened it up and it solved the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jackssilverback29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny and Suni View Post
Home improvement stores have outlet tester.

You could have an open ground, or your neutral could be reversed with the ground wire. The tester is a cheap way to eliminate these possibilities.
Based on the OP's description neither of these are likely. It was working fine at first.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #10

Just for info - my Rockwood 8280 5th has no 110 electric outlets in either slide. All 110 wiring is in the main shell (interior walls only) of the camper. I thought this was weird at first, but may be blessing in disguise. Obviously Forest River saved a lot of construction cost by doing that.
Ken Halloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #11

The gfi will not reset if there is no line power to it first thing ck power at the line side of the gfi I bet that there is no power then ch power at the breaker if you don't know witch breaker it is ck them all if that is good then like some one said wire nut came off some were it 's not uncommon to have a breaker go bad hope this can help have a good day

Sent from my IPhone
wwalker2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #12

I didn't carefully read all post so this may have been addressed. Have you checked the outlets wired to the GFCI, especially any located outside. (may have gotten wet) If anything is plugged into one of these outlets, unplug it.
Two, remove the hot wire (black or red) from the load side and see if it will stay reset. If it will, the problem is downstream of the GFCI.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #13

Do you have an outside 110ac service outlet? If so, you might want to check in it's box for excessive moisture. The outside box on our Salem accumulated moisture during heavy rain and tripped the ground fault sensor located inside at the bathroom vanity and it wouldn't reset with power on - took me a while to figure that one out. A little extra caulking seems to have fixed it.
Alexha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #14

I had the same trouble I took the cover off the breaker box and found a wire burn off and one loose fix it then I was alright
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwalker2984 View Post
The gfi will not reset if there is no line power to it
A GFCI will reset with no power, it is a mechanical latch.

Edit: turns out wwalker is partially correct - some GFCI's built after 2003 won't latch if the power is off.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #16

colman did you get your gfci problem resolved?
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #17

I agree sounds like the GFCI is defective, which should have been eliminated with the new one. Or the line side is not receiving power.
Motofixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwalker2984 View Post
The gfi will not reset if there is no line power to it first thing ck power at the line side of the gfi I bet that there is no power then ch power at the breaker if you don't know witch breaker it is ck them all if that is good then like some one said wire nut came off some were it 's not uncommon to have a breaker go bad hope this can help have a good day

Sent from my IPhone
That happen to me I couldn't reset mind bc I had no power.When I found the burnt wire I was fine
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote