Old 03-15-2019, 11:52 PM   #1

GFCI wont reset

Ive got a 2018 Rockwood A122SESP A frame. Last time we used it was over Thanksgiving and everything worked fine. Ive had it in my garage on a trickle charger, off and on, ever since. Pulled up to the campsite today and found that all my outlets do not work. No microwave, no fridge and three other outlets are out.
Fridge outlet was working on 12v power during the 3 hour trip up here because fridge was cold and the back was hot. I felt it when I switched it to 120. So something happened after I plugged into the post. All lights working, no fuses or breakers popped.

I went to the GFCI and pressed test. It clicked when I pressed test but it will not reset. Just press reset and it does nothing. Bad GFCI??

Can I get a new one at any hardware store, just take it with me to match up?

My trailer is 30A and Im hooked up to a 30A post at the moment.

Ramajama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:14 AM   #2

Check the post and all the breakers? Micro shouldn't be on GFCI.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:47 AM   #3

What should I check at the post? I flipped the breakers a few times. Got power to the cord.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:57 AM   #4

Stupid question, I have vertical facing breakers should the levers be up or down for on position?
Old 03-16-2019, 01:00 AM   #5

Do you have any type of surge protector or EMS hooked up to the post to see if you've got reverse polarity or open ground?

Is the GFI you're referring to the main breaker in the breaker box in your rig?

I'd also suspect that something in that campground post is the problem. Is there a host that can check it for you?

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #6

So this is weird. I was pretty sure the on position on the breakers was up. All the breakers were down. So they were all off. I was running on battery power so the GFCI would not reset without real power.

Here’s the weird thing...I lifted every breaker yesterday after I noticed the problem about 3 or 4 times but the breakers wouldn’t reset, they went right back down. So I initially just assumed that was the on position.

That just didn’t seem right so In the wee hours of this morning I got up to try again. Just for giggles I thought. Sure enough, this time they all reset. Then I was able to reset the GFCI. I’ve never seen this happen before. I wonder if I got a massive surge when I initiated power from the post?
Whatever it was, all seems well right now. I’ll report it to the office an/or host so they can check it out.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #7
Site Team

Any time you check /reset breakers, it is best to turn them off then back on. Some will not reset if just flipped from tripped to on.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #8

Sounds like rough roads may have jarred the trailer enough to trip the breakers. It would be odd for all to be tripped. They are a mechanical device that can trip from mechanical shock and if in a vertical position with off down a possible scenario. To reset, you have to push them firmly to off then back to on. When you described moving the handle up and it immediately returned back down to off - that is just what would happen to a tripped breaker that had not been reset by moving the handle firmly to off.
WY Husker Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WY Husker Fan View Post
Sounds like rough roads may have jarred the trailer enough to trip the breakers. It would be odd for all to be tripped. They are a mechanical device that can trip from mechanical shock and if in a vertical position with off down a possible scenario. To reset, you have to push them firmly to off then back to on. When you described moving the handle up and it immediately returned back down to off - that is just what would happen to a tripped breaker that had not been reset by moving the handle firmly to off.
X2...that sounds like exactly what happened. I've seen people do the same thing. Lift the switch without going to OFF first.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #10
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

Micro shouldn't be on GFCI.
The microwaves in my last two brand new RV's (a 2013 TT and my current 2015 5'ver) were connected to a GFCI outlet in the bathroom.

On both trailers...if that GFCI ever tripped...I lost power to the whole kitchen.

2015 Heartland Prowler P292 5'ver, Reese 16K Pro Slider Hitch
2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L Gasser w/4.10 rear end
JohnD10 is online now   Reply With Quote