Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2018, 08:29 PM   #1

GFI and fuses

Hi everyone, I have a problem I’m trying to figure out. We have a 2018 Rockwood Roo 24WS. We took her out for a long weekend this fall and on our first day the GFI tripped. Don’t know why it tripped but a couple of days later we found a 15amp fuse blown. We took her to the RV maintance shop to have it checked out and they found nothing wrong. Two months later we went out again for a week to a different campground and within an hour of setting up the GFI tripped again and the same 15amp fuse gone again. I don’t know what went first, the GFI or the fuse. Reset the GFI, changed out the fuse and no problem for the rest of the week. Took her back to the RV shop and they kept her for four days and found nothing wrong. Anyone have any ideas about might be going on? We use the EMS PT-30X surge protector. Thanks everyone!
Toppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Do you have a "legend" in your fuse panel to indicate what the blown fuse powers?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #3

The labeling is a little off, but it looks to be the A/C. But on both trips we used the A/C with no problems. I don’t understand why both the fuse and GFI went out and only shortly after we plugged into power.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Just a thought. Does the WH operate when this happens. If you operate the WH on electric without water you can fry the heating element and occasionally when that happens, it shorts the element to ground and will trip a GFCI. Depending on how the short exhibits itself, it could be causing the fuse for the WH control board to blow. This is a long stretch but your issue is unique.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #5

We always let the city water run for awhile before turning on the WH. I usually forget to turn it on until I’m looking for hot water, getting old I guess , but we could have jumped the gun...
Old 12-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Try WH on electric. If it heats this is not the problem. Biggest issue is sometimes people forget to turn it off then plug in at home ( empty tank) to clean inside the RV.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 12-13-2018, 09:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppans View Post
The labeling is a little off, but it looks to be the A/C. But on both trips we used the A/C with no problems. I don’t understand why both the fuse and GFI went out and only shortly after we plugged into power.
We need clairifacition.

1. The A/C is not on the GFI.
2. A fuse in on the 12 volt system.
3. How much load are you pluging into the GFI circuit?
4. Is the GFI Breaker tripping or the GFI outlet.? 2 differnt issues.

The GFI circuit covers any and all outlets within 6' of a water source.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:07 PM   #8

We have never had a problem with the WH, works on electric like a champ. We have been scratching our heads about this for a couple of months. Our worry is the warranty is up in January and we aren’t going out again until April. If the solution/problem isn’t found before then we might have a big bill to pay. We have had it back to the shop twice but they can’t find anything.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #9

It’s the GFI outlet in the bathroom. The last time it happened we had a small lamp, Kurig, toaster oven, two heated mattress pads, two air mattresses plugged in but none turned on. Once we reset the outlet and replaced the fuse we had no more problems. Everything worked without a problem all week.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppans View Post
It’s the GFI outlet in the bathroom. The last time it happened we had a small lamp, Kurig, toaster oven, two heated mattress pads, two air mattresses plugged in but none turned on. Once we reset the outlet and replaced the fuse we had no more problems. Everything worked without a problem all week.
This is what I'm having trouble with. GFI (120 v) and FUSE (12v)are 2 different systems and one has nothing to do with the other.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:24 AM   #11

It is possible the 15 amp fuse is blowing and you not noticing (since you don't know what it powers) and then your only noticing it after the GFCI trips. They are separate systems. Since you documented the problem with your dealer it may be possible to get the warranty extended on that issue. Intermittent problems are difficult to diagnose.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #12
Site Team

In the OP, he states that in the initial incident the GFCI tripping and the fuse blowing appeared to be connected. The second time the GFCI tripped the same fuse blew again. Although these are on separate systems too much of a coincidence to ignore completely. Other than a wiring issue such as a screw through two wires the only other 120VAC appliances with 12V controls are the WH, AC and Fridge. Either this is a very strange coincidence or there is an interconnection that should not be there.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 12-14-2018, 08:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
In the OP, he states that in the initial incident the GFCI tripping and the fuse blowing appeared to be connected. The second time the GFCI tripped the same fuse blew again. Although these are on separate systems too much of a coincidence to ignore completely. Other than a wiring issue such as a screw through two wires the only other 120VAC appliances with 12V controls are the WH, AC and Fridge. Either this is a very strange coincidence or there is an interconnection that should not be there.
Exactly. Before we can help we need to know exactly what goes out and when. Also what fuse is blown. I do know he has a lot of stuff plugged into the GFI. I'm thinking a possible interaction between the two system thru a control board but not sure how the GFI fits into the equation.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #14
Site Team

I think the Bob that Flys accidentally hit on it. It's possibly a screw or staple through some wires. I know in our RV both 120 volt and 12 volt wiring runs along the same path for a distance, so it's certainly possible that a screw or staple could penetrate both runs of wiring and only make contact occasionally.

Here's another thing that makes me think that.
Quote:
...on our first day the GFI tripped. Don’t know why it tripped but a couple of days later we found a 15amp fuse blown. ... within an hour of setting up the GFI tripped again and the same 15amp fuse gone again.
So it appears to happen after the RV has been moved. I'd take that knowledge to the dealer and see if they'll troubleshoot it any differently.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #15

Thanks for all the input. Never stopped to think that the problem happened after a move and no problem when stationary. We go out again in April and I think as we hookup to shore power we will watch the gfi in the bathroom and the fuse and see what goes first. Is there any way to get wiring diagrams? I work in a shipyard and will be able to find someone to help me read the diagram to find the likely place/s where the problem might be. You all are the best, thanks for the help!
Old 12-15-2018, 06:43 AM   #16
Site Team

It will be rare if you can get a wiring diagram. The pat answer when requesting one is either that they don't exist or that they're not available to the owners.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:57 PM   #17

Wanted to let you all know my sister and I took our Roo out for the first time this season and no power problems!!! Fuses fine and GFI fine. Enjoying our four days in Williamsburg VA at the KOA for a girls weekend and will return to home and hubbies on Sunday. You all are the best and thanks again!

Tags
fuse