Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #1

GFI Trips

I have a 2012 rockford mini light. If I try to plug it in at home it trips the GFI . It trips every GFI outlet I have at my house. It does work on non gfi plugs??
Where should I start??
andyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Start no where. The camper is GFI protected. If you plug it in to a GFI outlet in your house, or anywhere else, one of them will trip. GFI's will not work together. Several discussions already here over that fact.

By the way, WELCOME to the forums.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #3

Thanks

Thanks
andyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #4

question about gfi's tripping

I searched other questions and didnt see a answer that would work for me.
I just purchased a 2006 salem le TT. When I got it home I unplugged my other trailer which is plugged into a gfi and plugged the new trailer in. The gfi tripped right away. I have never had this problem with my other trailer which is bigger. The gentleman I purchased the trailer from said he just replaced the bottom part of the convertor. When I plug in the trailer to the gfi I turned off all the breakers in the trailer. I turned on the main breaker no problem. When I turned on the general breaker it tripped and when i turn on the AC it trips the breaker. Of course the old owner will not answer my phone calls. Gotta love people. Anyway not sure what to do. trying to find a schematic of the wiring diagram so I might know where to look. Anybody out there have any info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Eric
fireman1296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #5

I have found some of the cheaper plug type GFI's don't work with each other on my carport I have the more expensive breaker type of GFI and neither the trailer or it trips. Some one told me that the cheaper ones test themselves by a .05 ground fault whitin the unit which another GFI will some times see and trips. I have also had a circuit on the house trip due to a moisture problem of wet stucco around protected plug. also you could have dampness in insulation around plug in trailer causing leakage in voltage to ground or possible screw or staple in siding or a plug wired wrong showing a leakage of voltage to ground not a direct short so wont trip normal circuit but will trip GFI circuit.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford
I have found some of the cheaper plug type GFI's don't work with each other on my carport I have the more expensive breaker type of GFI and neither the trailer or it trips. Some one told me that the cheaper ones test themselves by a .05 ground fault whitin the unit which another GFI will some times see and trips. I have also had a circuit on the house trip due to a moisture problem of wet stucco around protected plug. also you could have dampness in insulation around plug in trailer causing leakage in voltage to ground or possible screw or staple in siding or a plug wired wrong showing a leakage of voltage to ground not a direct short so wont trip normal circuit but will trip GFI circuit.
I would pull all of the covers on the plugs and make sure all you connections are good. If a GFI senses any current in the ground they trip. . Couple of years ago I had outlets put under our eves for Christmas lights, code requires GFI, put lights all the way around the house 264 feet of them. Could never get them to stop tripping the GFI. Really frustrating. Found that my metal roof was picking up a .5 voltage from somewhere. Took me a year to find a utility plug in the attach had the hot leg touching the side of the outlet box, just enough seepage to through the GFI off. Two inches of electrical tape solved the problem. I hate the damn things but a necessary evil . Good luck with your problem.
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses. I currently have a 15 amp gfi for my older trailer 2000 and never had a problem,. Was wondering if the newer trailer might have a larger converter and is trying to draw to many amps. Am going to wire in a 20 amp gfi tomorrow and check it out tomorrow. Was reading that people have a 30 amp service on side of house. I assume these are not gfi. If not how would you know you have a problem. Just asking. Will see tomorrow. thanks
fireman1296 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical