Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #1

ghost load

I have a 2015 forest river pop up A frame. Model T12Rbst. I noticed my battery died earlier than I thought it should have, so I started investigating loads. It seems I'm getting a 7 amp draw with nothing turned on. I even pulled out all of the dc fuses and turned off ac breakers. The fridge is on propane and the dc switch is turned off. Any ideas? Thanks.
davidsongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:05 PM   #2
Site Team

The fridge control board still draws power when on propane. You don't say what fridge you have. Some have a heating element around the door frame to prevent condensation. You need to check that. Also the CO detector is always on. Make sure your break away switch is not activated.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a Dometic RM4223. It's a small unit with no freezer. No control knobs inside the fridge. I did measure about 0.3 amps on the CO/Propane detector when I removed that fuse. What's a break away switch?
Old 03-07-2016, 06:34 PM   #4

Hey flybob. Your one smart cookie! I realized what you meant by breakaway switch and when I checked it, I saw that a dog tie out had tangled in the cable and activated the switch. I plugged it back in and, VOILA, the ghost load disappeared.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsongreg View Post
Hey flybob. Your one smart cookie! I realized what you meant by breakaway switch and when I checked it, I saw that a dog tie out had tangled in the cable and activated the switch. I plugged it back in and, VOILA, the ghost load disappeared.
Better check your trailer battery and brakes.
Having the pin out of the breakaway switch, can drain the battery and damage the brakes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #6

Thanks. The camper battery got drained, so I'm charging back up with generator. The switch came out at camp, so no driving was done to hurt the breaks.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:27 PM   #7
Site Team

If the battery was drained significantly < 30% it could be permanently damaged. It will take a charge , but not hold up well under load. When you get back home, I would have it load tested at an auto parts store. As for the brake damage, the brakes being activated for an extended period of time at full power could damage the magnets. This will occur no matter of the unit is parked or moving. You should check them at first opportunity.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #8

That's what the brake a way switch activates, is the brakes. It activates the magnets on the brakes.
Ditchdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #9

Thanks. The battery was down to 20-30%, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed. I'll have to research about how to check the magnets. Is that a simple field test? I'm on the road for the next 3 months.