Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #1

Glad I have my power monitor

When I got my new trailer, I bit the bullet and bought a EMS-HWC30 power monitor. My old RV developed odd power issues and I'm pretty sure it was due to all the bad power I plugged into before I knew any better.

Still, it's a tough decision to fork out around $300 for something that *might* not really be needed. We are so used to having clean power come out of the wall in our houses that it seems like it should be the same thing in a campground.

Well, I'm sure this thing has earned its price. Just this weekend we set up at a site and plugged in. We always try to *not* run the A/C if we can help it but it was hot so we turned it on. About a minute later the power cut out. I took a look at the display and we were only getting about 104-105 volts. If I hadn't had the power monitor, I would have happily let the A/C work at that level, doing who knows what kind of damage that might only be apparent down the road.

They eventually got the volts up to about 117-118 the next day, which the power monitor was okay with. If anyone is on the fence about these things, do it. Campground power is pretty risky and there are enough other things that are going to go wrong with your camper. Don't throw bad power at it too.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #2

A 50 AMP EMS is on sale at Camping World for about $340 and yes you
do need one! It will protect your RV from a number of issues. Low voltage
is an issue that will cause big problems over time and you will not even know it.
My EMS will not allow power to the RV if it gets to low or to high. It will also not permit power to the RV if it spikes. I know that others will post and tell you that you do need one. I have never plugged in without one.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power