Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddezurik View Post
I have RW Windjammer3006W. I plan to power a 70 watt heated mattress pad, while towing. I use an AIMS 180 watt pure sine inverter, plugged into the 12v socket under the TV.
Will this combo work while I tow? Will also run refrig & furnace.
Not sure if I follow this. When you say "while towing", are you saying you're running a heated mattress pad and furnace while driving down the road?
Old 11-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #22

Assume your mattress heater consumes 70 watts which is 5.83 amps.

If you run it for 10 hours you will need 58.3 amps total.

A typical deep cycle 12VDC Group 24 battery will supply 5 amps for about 13 hours. (15 amps for 3.8 hours)

A typical deep cycle 12VDC Group 27 battery will supply 5 amps for about 18
hours. (15 amps for 5.5 hours)

However you have to figure another 2 amps per hour for misc. circuit boards.

So one group 27 12VDC battery should do your mattress heater for about 2 8 hour nights.

Your heater consumes about 15 amps when running. However it usually does not run continuously so it is hard to estimate how long it would actually run. However it won't be very long.

Your vehicle can produce lots of amps but generally they will not be transferred to the trailer. These systems operate on demand - you probably have fairly small wiring from the vehicle to the trailer so you will not see high charging amps.

You other choice is to run two 6 VDC deep cycle batteries which will greatly increase your available power.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #23

Heated mattresses on power inverter?

Yes, we run our furnace while towing in cold weather, before we stop for the night. Have done this for 5 years., w/o problems. Once stopped, we'll probably shut off the heated mattress pad. We leave the furnace on at night. Also run our refr while towing on "auto", so it may use gas or 12 volts.
ddezurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #24

OK, just clarifying. Honestly, I don't think you'll be able to replace the amps you use while towing due to the amount of draw that furnace pulls and the limitations of the wiring on the truck's charging system. It'll extend it somewhat but, eventually, you'll run out of battery. Depends on the length of the trip and if it gets plugged in during stops.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #25

Your frig will not run on 12VDC - It runs on gas or 110VAC - It does use 12VDC, about 1 amp for the control circuit,, whether on gas or electric.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote