Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
Member
 
Travler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 67
If the braker did not trip in the trailor and also did not trip the supply then you may not of had a full 30 amp load. The clamp on meeter listed will only work if yu can get to a single wire. If clamped around the main cable you will not get an accurate reading. If you can get to a good spot testing is the best way.

I have alos been told that a breaker is only rated to trip once. After that the rating could change. Though I have seen some work many more times with no problems. Changing it is not a bad idea just to be safe.
__________________

__________________
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,716
Until/unless you actually check with a clamp on meter you are guessing!

FYI, I don't know what type breakers you have.
My trailer uses standard household plug in breakers such as these-
Search Results for*30 amp breaker*at The Home Depot

As you can see by the link, you can get a single pole 30 half wide
breaker for $6 and change or a full wide single pole 30 for $3 and change.
If you're worried about it, put in a new one.

I've never heard of needing to change a breaker because it was tripped
once. Maybe the lawyers and or the breaker salesmen say that but I'm
not gonna do it!
YMMV
__________________

__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
backin15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Not religiously twisting and locking your connecting ring (while running the AC) will do this. Don't ask how I know...

PS not my photos. My connectors did not show water corrosion; just the burns.
Those photos are actually mine! Thanks for digging them up. DW hooked up the cord that day and did not know to twist after connecting.
Check with the manufacturer, mine was made by Marinco and although they were quick to point out the damage was most likely caused by not giving the cord the required twist they covered it under warranty. In a few days a box appeared at my door containing a new receptacle and cord. I can't say enough about their outstanding customer service!
__________________
backin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdefeo1 View Post
Thank all of you for your replies I understand why the plug may have melted . My new ? is why wont any breakers trip when i intentionally over load them to test it. I had the AC ,toaster,hair dryer,and micro on and never tripped a breaker . I can remember when the AC was on and the wife dried her hair the breaker tripped every time before . So I was wondering if this is a problem and what it my be? Could it be the converter?Every thing is working fine and I'am not having any other issues with any thing else 12 v or 110. THanks again everyone hope someone can give me a answer.
It is a (2013) trailer,is it still under Warr? If so what did the Dealer say? I doubt if a Dealer will (Guess) what caused the Problem. I still have not heard anyone say (Yes we turn on our W/H,A/C,coffee pot ,and hair dryer) without triping a breaker! Maybe our Main is Bad? Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #25
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 336
hi everyone just talked to my electrician. He said that by me not tripping a breaker with all of those items on is probably because I didn't have enough amp to trip it. He also said that most reasons why people cant run too many things in their RV's is because the campground supply lines are too long and there isn't enough amps in them. The dedicated 30 amp service that he installed for me at my home for my RV can take enough amp. Therefore, he told me not too worry. He is going to come and check it with a meter for me to be safe. He also agrees that the reason my power cord melted was due to a bad connection.

I appreciate all the feedback and advice you have all given me. This site is great
I will let you know what the results are when I get them. Hopefully, this information will help others.
__________________
2016 Rockwood 8310SS Signature Ultralight
2017 F 250 6.2 gas 4.30 8' bed
HIDE OUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #26
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
Those photos are actually mine! Thanks for digging them up. DW hooked up the cord that day and did not know to twist after connecting.
Check with the manufacturer, mine was made by Marinco and although they were quick to point out the damage was most likely caused by not giving the cord the required twist they covered it under warranty. In a few days a box appeared at my door containing a new receptacle and cord. I can't say enough about their outstanding customer service!
Hi Backin15 already bought a new set but will try to get a new one in case this happens again do you remember where you got the contact info I would appreciate it thanks
__________________
2016 Rockwood 8310SS Signature Ultralight
2017 F 250 6.2 gas 4.30 8' bed
HIDE OUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: X
Posts: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdefeo1 View Post
hi everyone just talked to my electrician. He said that by me not tripping a breaker with all of those items on is probably because I didn't have enough amp to trip it. He also said that most reasons why people cant run too many things in their RV's is because the campground supply lines are too long and there isn't enough amps in them. The dedicated 30 amp service that he installed for me at my home for my RV can take enough amp. Therefore, he told me not too worry. He is going to come and check it with a meter for me to be safe. He also agrees that the reason my power cord melted was due to a bad connection.

I appreciate all the feedback and advice you have all given me. This site is great
I will let you know what the results are when I get them. Hopefully, this information will help others.
I hope you're paraphrasing there. The only thing that limits the amps in a circuit is the breaker.

Long campground supply lines means there is voltage drop in the lines, so you might say you didn't "have enough volts to trip them". When voltage goes down, the hair dryer and toaster (and water heater) draw less current so perhaps that's what he means. The air conditioner and microwave (and converter) on the other hand are going to draw more current at lower voltage, so it's hard to say what would have won out.

The important thing is that he's going to do that measurement that was suggested so you'll know for sure if there's a problem.
__________________
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #28
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
It is a (2013) trailer,is it still under Warr? If so what did the Dealer say? I doubt if a Dealer will (Guess) what caused the Problem. I still have not heard anyone say (Yes we turn on our W/H,A/C,coffee pot ,and hair dryer) without triping a breaker! Maybe our Main is Bad? Youroo!!
Hi youroo, it is still under warranty but I don't like to bring it there to much I prefer to try to fix it myself I found in the past that most of the time I know more then they do by reading this forum. and i do a neater and quicker job and for a electrical problem I would rather have a license electrician work on it if I cant do it myself than my dealers techs if you know what I mean thankyou for all your help on this forum
__________________
2016 Rockwood 8310SS Signature Ultralight
2017 F 250 6.2 gas 4.30 8' bed
HIDE OUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #29
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I hope you're paraphrasing there. The only thing that limits the amps in a circuit is the breaker.

Long campground supply lines means there is voltage drop in the lines, so you might say you didn't "have enough volts to trip them". When voltage goes down, the hair dryer and toaster (and water heater) draw less current so perhaps that's what he means. The air conditioner and microwave (and converter) on the other hand are going to draw more current at lower voltage, so it's hard to say what would have won out.

The important thing is that he's going to do that measurement that was suggested so you'll know for sure if there's a problem.
Thanks berry that is what I meant to say but like you said I am going to leave it up to the professional to make sure every thing is safe
__________________
2016 Rockwood 8310SS Signature Ultralight
2017 F 250 6.2 gas 4.30 8' bed
HIDE OUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
1A Camper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 371
Barry
The electrician is right long run can limit the maximum amount of current supply.
Lets say you are a 100 feet from good supply of 120 volts power. That means you have 200 feet of wire (round trip). Lets say that 200 feet of wire has 4 ohm resistance. Now lets short a socket in the RV that is connected to this 100 supply line. Question: How much current is flowing in the wire? Amps= volts/ohm so you would have 30 amps flowing and no matter what you do you can not get any more amps out of that cord. A fuse does not limit current, it interrupt the flow of current at a set level but this is all semantics. You made a valid point
__________________

__________________
Steve and Adele
2014 Flagstaff T12RBST
2005 Toyota 4runner 4x4
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 AM.