Old 08-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #31

1A Camper,
agreed! Taken to the limit of wire-R >> RV-R, the wire will limit the current.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #32

In real life #10 wire will conduct a lot more that that at 120 volts. More like hundreds of amps which would melt that wire so quick you'd only find the skeleton of it. The wire is rated .1 ohm per 100'.

I think the 30 amp and trip problem is the breakers are designed to first clean on a gross overload (short circuit) to prevent fire. The secondary purpose to to clear load faults but, its on a timer curve. 40 amps will clear quickly, however 31 amps will be timed. Purpose is not to clear prematurely like a short burst of motor start. Besides they are not guaranteed to clear on the rating, they have a touch of error built in.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #33

It rarely happens but sometimes a breaker malfunctions and won't trip. They are designed to fail the other way and trip at lower amps rather than higher. Your problem where the connection fused had to be a bad connection with a corroded prong or if it was wet that could also cause it to arc. When a connection arcs just a little it causes more resistance which causes even more arcing and heat. Then the connection fuses and actually becomes a better connection. All this can happen without tripping the breaker. But remember, the cord is protected by the device you plug into. I suspect that there was a problem with whatever you plugged into. That is what should have tripped.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick42wood View Post
But remember, the cord is protected by the device you plug into. I suspect that there was a problem with whatever you plugged into. That is what should have tripped.
Unless you we're using a 50->30 adapter to power your RV from a pedestal which only provided 50-amp service.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #35

Quite right. This is a dangerous thing to do. That is why they make 50A cords. The adaptors make no sense and I don't know how they are legal.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdefeo1 View Post
Hi Backin15 already bought a new set but will try to get a new one in case this happens again do you remember where you got the contact info I would appreciate it thanks
Here you go: Contact Us | Marinco
I think they have a 5 year warranty.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
Here you go: Contact Us | Marinco
I think they have a 5 year warranty.
THANKYOU BACKIN Ill let you know how it turns out for me
Old 08-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #38

You can try to run all f that stuff again and make sure that the air conditioner compressor is on sometimes there is a delay and when you are running all of the stuff do not look at the breaker box go to the side and flip the main breaker in your camper if you feel any resistance in any direction you will need to get the breaker replaced do that in your homes 30 amp breaker to that might have a problem. I did this for my Xmas light show and found out that my main breaker was malfunctioning and when they went to change out the box ad the meter they found that there was remnants of a fire in the outside meter box!