Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #1

Question Help - Basic Battery Question

Hi -

My girlfriend has a Rockwood 1640 (~3-4 years old) that we normally plug in when camping. However, we'll soon be taking a cros-Canada trip where we'll need to use a battery. The camper doesn't currently have one and she's tasked me with doing the research ...

I've looked all over the Internet and these forums for help on WHAT battery to get and I've only succeeded in getting more and more confused. I'm hoping that you guys can help shed some light!

1) Without any modifcation, what battery specs do I need to get to fit this camper?

2) what tips/tricks can you share that would make this install better? eg., 2 batteries vs 1 ... shut-off switches ... ???

3) any 'watch out for ...' advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Ray
CAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Ummmm no battery?

In most places its illegal to run without a battery as it turns on your emergency break away switch.

Its also somewhat hard on the converter

How long are you going to camp with no power?

Will you have a gennie to charge now and again?

What year Rockwood?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #3

Hi turbo -

I haven't verified that there isn't a battery at all (I'm in the US, she's in CA); she did tell me that she had the option (at purchase) to either have a 'furnace' installed OR a battery system and that she chose the furnace.

We'll be camping a total of 5 nights over 3 different sites (Toronto to Halifax), with power at 2 of the sites ... no power for 2 nights? Recharging on the road will come from plugging in where possible ... at home, we'll need a charger. We don't use alot other than a couple of 'house lights'; no chargers, or A/C or anything like that. The fridge is able to run off of propane ...

It's a Rockwood 1640 ... I think she told me it's about 3-4years old, but could be a year or so newer.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #4

To start you will definitely want to purchase a Deep Cycle marine or RV battery (available at any Canadian Tire Store, Walmart, etc) You will need to get a schematic of the electrical system from Rockwood and preferable one that shows how Rockwood would install the battery as if it is an option from factory...then simply copy what they would normally have done.

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE Touring Edition - Loaded
djkarau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #5

How do I know what type of battery to get? I know deep-cycle ... but U27 or U31? other specs to bear in mind? I checked the online version of the Owner's Manual, but didn't see much in there about the battery specs ...
Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #6

Your propane refrigerator requires 12v dc for the controls to work, without a battery as soon as you unplug from ac service it is dead.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome aboard! Very exciting trip you've got planned.

My responses are in blue below... I, and others, can help more once we pin down some of your questions just a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAlover View Post
Hi -

My girlfriend has a Rockwood 1640 (~3-4 years old) that we normally plug in when camping. However, we'll soon be taking a cros-Canada trip where we'll need to use a battery. The camper doesn't currently have one and she's tasked me with doing the research ...

I've looked all over the Internet and these forums for help on WHAT battery to get and I've only succeeded in getting more and more confused. I'm hoping that you guys can help shed some light!

1) Without any modifcation, what battery specs do I need to get to fit this camper? Your trailer can fit at least one Group 24 battery (small 12-volt). The battery tray might allow two batteries. You can measure the trays dimensions and battery specs are easily found on line.

2) what tips/tricks can you share that would make this install better? eg., 2 batteries vs 1 ... shut-off switches ... ??? Lots of questions.

It's all about energy use and how fast you can recharge the battery. You need to do an energy audit to understand how much capacity you need while dry camping (camping without electrical hookups). Barring a proper audit, my advice is to get the biggest battery(s) you can fit and afford.

As for charging, do you intend to try and charge through the truck's alternator while driving between sites? Are you bringing a generator?

A disconnect is useful to maintain the battery when its not in use. It's a cheap and easy modification.

3) any 'watch out for ...' advice is GREATLY appreciated! Buy Harold Barre's book, Managing 12 Volts, and amaze your GF with your mastery of everything DC. Seriously, though, its a really good reference book and makes this all a bit easier to understand when you need it on the road. Things can and will go wrong at the worst times, so it helps to be prepared. Also, buy a multimeter and spare fuses, which are always good to have.

Thanks in advance,
Ray

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #8

U31 is a bigger battery with more "juice"...otherwise identical to the U27. Try this site for the drawings...if it doesn't work I found these by googling "Rockwood 1640 electrical drawings"

Download Provider — rockwood_popup_camper_wire_diagram.rar

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE Touring Edition - Loaded
djkarau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #9

IMO, I would go for a Group 27 Deep Cycle Marine/RV Battery (Interstate, Sears, Auto Zone) which gives you about 20 hours at 5 amps before charging. Also install a simple disconnect switch available at Auto Zone or Harbor Freight. Be sure to check your wiring in the camper since the ground cable may not be black...
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #10

Thanks to all for quick responses and useful info ... time to dig deeper!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #11

Where will you be camping with no power? There are many different places to stay between Toronto and Halifax and they all have power. Sounds as if the trailer is a small PUP with no brakes. The fridge might be a manual start. If it is you will not need battery power to operate it. If the trailer does not have brakes you might have to replace the plug that attaches the trailer to the TV. It might only have a 4 pin plug on it. the TV would also have to be wired to supply power to the trailer. There is a lot of information that we do not know. It might not be as simple as purchasing a battery and putting it in place.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #12

You really want "deep cycle" over "marine" batteries. Marine are part starting and part storage, see the following excerpt of the two designs.

Have a great trip!

Basic Battery Design
  • Four types of battery designs are determined by the thickness of the lead plates. Less expensive thin plates provide higher cranking power. More expensive thicker plates have reduced cranking power, but will run other equipment longer. The thicker the plates, the more the battery can be discharged without damage. By rule of thumb, "auto" or "starting" batteries have the thinnest plates, and highly expensive (and heavier) deep cycle industrial batteries have the thickest plates. "Marine" and "hybrid" batteries have plate thicknesses somewhere in the middle.

Read more: Marin Marine Battery Vs. Deep Cycle Battery | eHow.com
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #13

Get a deep cycle 27 series I think a Interstate would be find.But what I found out about using your lights it will run them down.if you can get a generator and charge it through the day a few hrs then you will be alright .You will need it for the frig.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

This is a very light pop up with a GVWR of 2100 pounds. I think trailer brakes are not required; so no break away issue.

Measure your planned install location and buy the largest form factor Deep Discharge battery that will fit.

Plan on buying a small generator and a dedicated charger to maintain it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #15
MI Camperz

I'm beginning to think one needs to be an electrician to camp properly.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
I'm beginning to think one needs to be an electrician to camp properly.

You don't need to be a Television Broadcast Engineer to watch Television.

However, if you want to get the best picture possible in every situation you might need to know a little bit more about how it works than the average couch potato.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote