Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2019, 10:05 PM   #1

Help!!! Lost power in 110 volt receptacles

I have a 2005 Forest River Cardinal. I've lost power in the 2 receptacles under the kitchen cabinets, the ones over the counter that you plug counter top appliances into. I've checked the breaker box, and there are not tripped breakers. I even tripped them and reset them, but still no power. They were both working about an hour ago. Do y'all know if there are breakers somewhere else besides in the panel box?
orabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orabun View Post
I have a 2005 Forest River Cardinal. I've lost power in the 2 receptacles under the kitchen cabinets, the ones over the counter that you plug counter top appliances into. I've checked the breaker box, and there are not tripped breakers. I even tripped them and reset them, but still no power. They were both working about an hour ago. Do y'all know if there are breakers somewhere else besides in the panel box?
Doesn't sound like a breaker problem, but a GFCI is tripped. ESPECIALLY since they're over the counter.

Check every outlet you have and hit the reset button on your GFCI outlet.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #3
Site Team

X2 tripped GFCI. You may have more than one master.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:13 PM   #4

I was hoping yall had turned me on to something. I checked the GFI breaker in the bathroom and it is not tripped. Is there one somewhere I'm missing ?
Old 02-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #5

Help!!! Lost power in 110 volt receptacles

Probably the GFCI. The GFCI on my 04 Sandpiper was located in the bathroom outlet which controlled out outlets downstream.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:16 PM   #6

Well I would test and reset that one just in case.

As far as another GFCI hiding somewhere, I wouldn’t be able to tell you. Just check every outlet you can find. Most of the time one GFCI outlet controls more than one outlet.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
Well I would test and reset that one just in case.

As far as another GFCI hiding somewhere, I wouldn’t be able to tell you. Just check every outlet you can find. Most of the time one GFCI outlet controls more than one outlet.
Yea, that's what I thought too. I tripped the bathroom one and reset it, but that didn't fix my problem. [emoji26]
Old 02-13-2019, 10:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
Probably the GFCI. The GFCI on my 04 Sandpiper was located in the bathroom outlet which controlled out outlets downstream.
I tried that but it didn't fix my problem. But thanks for thinking of it. I had not thought of it until you mentioned it.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:29 PM   #9

Well in that case, it’s time to start unscrewing wall plates and check your wiring. It’s very possible that a wire wasn’t all the way screwed down to the outlet and it finally popped loose.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
Well in that case, it’s time to start unscrewing wall plates and check your wiring. It’s very possible that a wire wasn’t all the way screwed down to the outlet and it finally popped loose.
Yea, I hope that's what it is. Full disclosure, I had a small electric heater running on it when it quite working. It was plugged into a outlet the TV and satellite was on but after a while, it tripped the breaker. Reset it and it would work again. After a couple of times, I moved it the the receptical over the sink. It worked great for about 30 minutes and then I started having this trouble.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #11

i gfci will not reset if it does not have power. we're assuming the outlets that lost power are on the same circuit as the bathroom gfci. and you said that gfci will not reset (you said you tried). so it would seem there is a problem between the circuit breaker in the panel and the gfci. you say you have reset the circuit breaker. take a multimeter to confirm that there is power coming out of that breaker and if so, then use it to confirm that power is going into the gfci (the line side). if so, then test to confirm that power is leaving the gfci (the load side). from what you describe and the resets you have tried it sounds like the problem is somewhere in this area.

the cardinals are an upper end trailer. i don't know your model, but it is also possible that there is a 2nd gfci installed that you may not have found yet and reset. go look very closely at all receptacles to see if there is another gfci somewhere. it could be somewhere associated with outside receptacles but it would seem strange to control kitchen outlets with a gfci on the outside or in the basement.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:20 AM   #12

With a 2005 it is possible a GFCI outlet went bad.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #13
Site Team

If you are certain the GFCI is reset and OK, you may have to pull all the outlets in the dead leg and check the connections. Many RVs use self striping punch down type of outlets rather than the screw lug connections used in homes. If the connection is marginal and a high current device ( heater) is run, the connection will heat up and and the connection can be lost. Make sure shore power is disconnected before you attempt this. Once opened it is fairly easy to see a bad connection. I would start at the failed outlet closest to the distribution panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outlet.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	196769  

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by orabun View Post
Since Cardinal's are usually big rigs I'm gonna assume you have a 2nd GFI outlet hiding someplace. MH have a way of hiding a second in the bathroom. I would start there. look behind an open door. I know it's not a MH. Do you have an Island? Outside kitchen? Look at your breaker listings and see how many breakers are listed GFI.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #15
Site Team

My guess that, that's a pretty good size RV so it possibly has more than one GFCI (At least our '06 did).

One of our GFCI's was under the awning outside. It fed inside as well as other outside receptacles. Have you checked the outlets outside?
If you don't find one anywhere else check the fridge receptacle. It may be a GFCI.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #16

Any chance you blew the breaker at the pole? or a surge protector? Is anything working that is 110?
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
My guess that, that's a pretty good size RV so it possibly has more than one GFCI (At least our '06 did).

One of our GFCI's was under the awning outside. It fed inside as well as other outside receptacles. Have you checked the outlets outside?
If you don't find one anywhere else check the fridge receptacle. It may be a GFCI.
Checked outside and frig. and they are not GFCI. Did find one beside the bed slide but it wasn't tripped. I've looked in all cabinets too. Nothing. [emoji35]
Old 02-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
Any chance you blew the breaker at the pole? or a surge protector? Is anything working that is 110?
Every thing else is working fine. Just the one's over the counter. [emoji35]
Old 02-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Since Cardinal's are usually big rigs I'm gonna assume you have a 2nd GFI outlet hiding someplace. MH have a way of hiding a second in the bathroom. I would start there. look behind an open door. I know it's not a MH. Do you have an Island? Outside kitchen? Look at your breaker listings and see how many breakers are listed GFI.
I did find another GFI next to the bed slide, but it wasn't tripped. I'm about to pull my hair out. [emoji35]
Old 02-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #20

Please keep sending me suggestions!!! I'm checking everything y'all are telling me with no luck so far. Thanks for all y'alls help!!!

Tags
power