Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2019, 08:00 PM   #1

Help with Electrical Panel!

I did a boo-boo, took too many things up and blew the GFI. Couldn’t get it to reset so I thought I would check the fuses I pulled a fuse out for the GFI and that looked good. When I went to put it back I dropped it now I can’t access it it’s down in the bowels of the converter unit. I had taken the fuse off the number one position, And put it in the number three that I had lost. I then discovered it was a tripped circuit breaker. Now I’ve got everything running, but I’m missing a fuse in the number one position. Everything seems to be running A-OK, I have no access to fuses, As I am in the middle of nowhere. Any suggestions would help. Thanks!
CorkyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyF View Post
I did a boo-boo, took too many things up and blew the GFI. Couldn’t get it to reset so I thought I would check the fuses I pulled a fuse out for the GFI and that looked good. When I went to put it back I dropped it now I can’t access it it’s down in the bowels of the converter unit. I had taken the fuse off the number one position, And put it in the number three that I had lost. I then discovered it was a tripped circuit breaker. Now I’ve got everything running, but I’m missing a fuse in the number one position. Everything seems to be running A-OK, I have no access to fuses, As I am in the middle of nowhere. Any suggestions would help. Thanks!
Are you sure you have a fuse for "the GFCI"? GFCI are 120v AC and fuses are for 12v DC.

What kind of trailer/MH do you have?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #3

What exactly do you need help with? Seems that you've temporarily solve all problems until you can purchase a new fuse in the number 1 slot.

You dont say that anything isnt working, but without a replacement fuse, if something isnt working due to slot one being open, you'll need to decide what you dont need. Maybe you dont need the furnace fuse right now, for example...
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:08 PM   #4
Site Team

Yep, GFIs have nothing to do with fuses. They are on AC breakers, like in your house.
So what wasn't working, the AC stuff or the DC stuff?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:16 PM   #5

Help with Electrical Panel!

On the left side is a bank of circuit breakers & on the right is a vertical row of blade fuses. They’re marked “DC CIRCUIT “ 1-6. 1-5 are 15 amp #6 is 30. I have a Salem fsx 181rtClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0970.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	207802Attachment 1
Old 06-19-2019, 08:20 PM   #6

The cover of the power distribution panel is held on by 4 or 5 screws. Turn off all power AC and DC remove the cover and you will able to retrieve the dropped fuse.

I would be very hesitant to leave the dropped fuse inside the panel. It could very well end up in the wrong place and cause additional problems, including taking out your converter as most are open frame designs.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:23 PM   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0970.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	360.0 KB
ID:	207803
Old 06-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
The cover of the power distribution panel is held on by 4 or 5 screws. Turn off all power AC and DC remove the cover and you will able to retrieve the dropped fuse.

I would be very hesitant to leave the dropped fuse inside the panel. It could very well end up in the wrong place and cause additional problems, including taking out your converter as most are open frame designs.

I’ve tried that, I’d have to completely remove the converter & shake it out [emoji10]
Old 06-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #9

Quote:
You tripped a 15 amp 120 volt circuit breaker no a 12 volt fuse. Unplug the 120 volt power, disconnect the battery and find the fuse and put it back. GFI will not reset without power. Find the breaker marked GFI and turn it off them back on. Now go reset the GFI outlet.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You tripped a 15 amp 120 volt circuit breaker no a 12 volt fuse. Unplug the 120 volt power, disconnect the battery and find the fuse and put it back. GFI will not reset without power. Find the breaker marked GFI and turn it off them back on. Now go reset the GFI outlet.

All done except for the battery disconnect. Everything seems to be working fine. GFI on & working. Still can’t find the fuse. Saturday, if I haven’t found it I’ll go into town & get a replacement. I’ll check with work in the morning as they may have some in the shop. I really appreciate all the help [emoji4]
Old 06-20-2019, 04:31 AM   #11

Quote:
All done except for the battery disconnect. Everything seems to be working fine. GFI on & working. Still can’t find the fuse. Saturday, if I haven’t found it I’ll go into town & get a replacement. I’ll check with work in the morning as they may have some in the shop. I really appreciate all the help [emoji4]
The reason for finding the fuse is so it doesn't create and short at some point. If your confident it is not interfering with anything just leave it. You always need extra fuses. One for each size in the fuse panel. Two 30's. The 30's are for the reverse polarity fuses. Also buy a small plastic fuse puller at the auto parts store and you won't be loosing fuses.

The reason for turning off the battery was so you couldn't create a short while digging around in there but it looks like you did ok.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:25 AM   #12

something is not working if you have a empty fuse slot. are your fuses labeled?
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
something is not working if you have a empty fuse slot. are your fuses labeled?

No, just numbered. So far haven’t found anything not working.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #14

It will show up in time....when you go to use that feature.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #15

Use a stick or piece of stiff wire (with all power off) and a piece of gum on the end to grab it.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
It will show up in time....when you go to use that feature.

It did this morning when I went to fire up the furnace 🤪
Old 06-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #17

Quote:
It did this morning when I went to fire up the furnace 🤪
You could take one out of your TV in a pinch if there compatible.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #18

They are automotive fuses. Many vehicles have a spare of each size in their fuse panel.
gkehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #19

I have had a lot of experience doing with the wrong tools. The loose fuse could be a problem bouncing around while traveling (consider it a short bare wire connecting with the power). Try retrieving it by using a small diameter stick, straw, etc. wrap a piece of tape around the end sticky side out, push it into all the crevices, you might get lucky.
tonys is offline   Reply With Quote