Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2019, 07:05 PM   #21
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
I have the same box and same situation, but its not a problem, ... that lid does keep the rain off the connection, if you use an extender, the connection will then be in the rain, ... but the link below is the adapter you are thinking about, ... it looks like to use this adapter you would still need to cut off the handle from the male end for the lid to close, ...

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55205-1...8-1-fkmr0&th=1

Yeah thanks.. I agree as far as using the extender, really no benefit. I will just install as planned. It will sit under the gable overhang which should help with the rain.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:09 PM   #22

Only way I see is to make your own 10AWG cable with ends chosen to fit your RV & receptacle box.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:35 PM   #23

My setup:

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
I have the same box and same situation, but its not a problem, ... that lid does keep the rain off the connection, if you use an extender, the connection will then be in the rain, ... but the link below is the adapter you are thinking about, ... it looks like to use this adapter you would still need to cut off the handle from the male end for the lid to close, ...

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55205-1...8-1-fkmr0&th=1

This is what I have as well. If it does not fit the other option is to do this and add a cord that will fit under the box but you have this in the rain as well.
Camco 55522 18" 30 AMP Standard Male / 30 AMP 90 Degree Locking Female PowerGrip Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BNZHTA..._fo4xCb6BDKF1Q

Best way is to make your own cord with an end that fits.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:33 PM   #25

I installed a 50 amp on the wall, it doesn't close all the way, but rain doesn't enter.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #26

I have attached a picture of my RV 30 amp House Connection.
It is mounted on the side of my house. It is a clear cover that opens & closes from the side. It has a hole at the bottom for cord.
This way the rain, moisture, leaves, twigs, and other items do not get inside and cause problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-House Conect-30amp-1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	196484   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-House Conect-30amp-2.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	196485  
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #27

Looks like the box I used. Mine is mounted on exterior garage wall under the overhang. Maybe some added rain protection, but wasn't concerned. Suppose you could fashion a hood over the box if you felt you needed to.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #28

When we updated to our current Cardinal fifth wheel, we also hired an electrical contractor to install a 50-amp outlet on the wall of our house in order to plug in our RV for use as a guest house. The outlet box is mounted on the wall of the house nearest our rig in the driveway behind the house, and the lid does not shut completely with the RV cable connected. This is exactly what you will find at all the RV parks we have visited. Moisture can enter the connector box, but it drains out before it can affect the electrical contacts.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:40 PM   #29

I’m living on borrowed time. Please no one come look at my home, rv, truck wireing. It’s sorta up to code. ������o
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #30

Why not take a different approach. I see you're not using a surge protector/power manager. Purchase a good one (not a cheapie) to protect your investment. Most surge protectors I've seen have flat plugs which would solve your problem. Many experienced campers have run into big problems with a campground's power more than once. I have personally come across a campsite with no ground wire hooked up and one with reversed polarity. I've also had my surge protector save the system from a nearby lighting strike. Even at home I use it when plugging into an outdoor connector just like you are installing.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #31

We plug in our progressive industries surge protector (flat plug), then our power cable.
The surge protector has a water proof cover.
It may be large enough to house your connector.
Good unit. Great customer service.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:41 PM   #32

Why not put one of these in. I have a similar one at the RV carport and have had 30 and 50 amp connected at the same time. They fit fine..no mod needed and cover closes completely.

From Amazon:

Old 02-11-2019, 09:06 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachaser186 View Post
Finally getting around to installing a 30 Amp power box at home. Well, the design of the box does not allow the lid to close with my current power cord.
Just wondering what the best option is and any advice or opinions would be appreciated. Attachment 196420Attachment 196421
That sure is a Ugly Plug !!!
I would probably reshape the plug ? and work on the door so as it would close,
I use a inline Surge Protector, that would plug into that box just Fine !!!

Sorry,,, Late to the Party !!!
LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:31 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachaser186 View Post
Finally getting around to installing a 30 Amp power box at home. Well, the design of the box does not allow the lid to close with my current power cord.
Just wondering what the best option is and any advice or opinions would be appreciated. Attachment 196420Attachment 196421
Unlike 50 amp plugs, 30 amp plugs are typically not that hard to un-plug. If you cut the hand grip off your plug will the lid close?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #35

I am curious to know why you would not put in a 50 amp outlet as compared to the 30 amp. You can always buy an adapter to convert the 50 amp to a 30 amp. What if you trade your current unit for something that requires 50 amps? My TT takes 30 amp, but if I was going to spend the money to run full service electrical, I would go for the maximum.
Just sayin'...
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
When we updated to our current Cardinal fifth wheel, we also hired an electrical contractor to install a 50-amp outlet on the wall of our house in order to plug in our RV for use as a guest house. The outlet box is mounted on the wall of the house nearest our rig in the driveway behind the house, and the lid does not shut completely with the RV cable connected. This is exactly what you will find at all the RV parks we have visited. Moisture can enter the connector box, but it drains out before it can affect the electrical contacts.

Funny, if you notice my picture of 30 amp outside outlet for my RV above, the cable fits nicely into the box, feeds from the bottom of box upwards. I am able to close the cover and the cable protrudes from the bottom.
NO WATER GETS IN.

An electrician installed mine also. My outlet is located on the side of the house between my chimney and deck so I can plug in my RV.

A metal cover box won't do the trick. I thought new electrical code was these new see thru plastic boxes for outside, for the reason of keeping water out of box or off electrical cord.
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #37
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post
Funny, if you notice my picture of 30 amp outside outlet for my RV above, the cable fits nicely into the box, feeds from the bottom of box upwards. I am able to close the cover and the cable protrudes from the bottom.
NO WATER GETS IN.

An electrician installed mine also. My outlet is located on the side of the house between my chimney and deck so I can plug in my RV.

A metal cover box won't do the trick. I thought new electrical code was these new see thru plastic boxes for outside, for the reason of keeping water out of box or off electrical cord.
That's fine in your case. In my situation I have to run the cable outside in conduit, so the exterior box is the proper way.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post
I have attached a picture of my RV 30 amp House Connection.

It is mounted on the side of my house. It is a clear cover that opens & closes from the side. It has a hole at the bottom for cord.

This way the rain, moisture, leaves, twigs, and other items do not get inside and cause problems.
Similar to what i used. Works great
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:23 PM   #39
Trailer Park Supervisor

All this talk has me wanting to wire up a 30 amp outlet on my shed in near future. RV outlet at Lowe's is about 30 bucks. I can mount it to my shed exterior wall near RV, shed already has 20 amps running to it. All my research shows there is no code prohibiting use of this 30 amp style outlet on my 20 amp circuit, as long as it is protected with 20 amp breaker. I would label it as such in case I move, or just rip it out. With proper load management, 20 amps would run anything in my little trailer.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #40

NJKris.. Just get a converter..

Something like this..

PowerFit20 Amp 120-Volt Standard 3-Prong Male to 30-Amp 120-Volt RV Outlet Adapter
https://www.homedepot.com/p/PowerFit...1599/203209167

Don't expect to run the AC for long though.. it will never work.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power