Old 08-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

Honda Eu2000i

I have the companion set arriving this week. Is it worth going propane? Can I use gas or propane or am I committed? Would be nice to not lug gas along. Thanks

Old 08-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #2

I have the pair and it is gasoline only. For generators to run on propane it takes a total conversion of the carburetor system.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #3

From what I have read on the forums you are better off with gasoline, those who have a propane generators say they are hogs.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #4

Great information! Thanks
Old 08-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #5

It depends on which kit you use to do the conversion. Some are propane only, some dual, and some are tri-fuel (gas, propane, natural gas). I think it kind of depends on how you use your genset as to if it's worth it or not. Initially, it's a pretty spendy conversion.

If you only use your genset for rare emergencies, then propane might be a better option. Mainly because propane doesn't go bad on you like stored gas can. It burns cleaner, extended running is easier with a 20# propane tank, and you'll spend less on maintenance.

On the flip side, gas is more efficient. You'll get the maximum rated wattage out of your genset. Gas is more readily available, and while you'll spend a bit more on maintenance, you also save by not paying out for the initial conversion. That's a lot of oil and filters.

I have 2 Yamaha 2000is's which I run on gas, but I also built my own 6gal dual extended run tank, so that's always an option if runtime is a concern. Mine aren't sitting in the garage for months on end though so for me the conversion isn't worth it.

If you are a prepper though, I would definitely go propane.

Hopefully that wasn't too convoluted.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #6

I think I'll stick with gas. I have a Honda 6500 commercial for outages. I use stabilize
Old 08-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #7

All great points Yarome. Propane is a great way to go if you want to have an emergency gen for when power goes out. Gasoline just does not last long and for an emergency set up it is nice to have a "set it and forget it" system. With propane you can buy a few larger propane tanks to fill and keep on hand for whenever the power goes down. Propane will not go bad.

For campers like us who use it through out the seasons, Gasoline is a good way to go. As long it does not leak all inside your TV. lol.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhochst View Post
I use stabilize
Me too. First thing I do with a new tank. But even that is just a short term proposition. Those little genset's are pretty sensitive to any kind of floaties or sediment. They run on older gas, but not well under a load, and only until they varnish up and quit on ya. You'll love your little Honda though. Great gen/inverter