Old 08-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #1

Honda EU2000i open ground

Hello everyone, I am writing this post to hopefully help others out with an open ground issue on an EMS or Surge Protector device when running a generator or paralleled generators to power your RV.

I followed this blog and inquired with the author about my parallel situation. This will solve an open ground on a Honda and Yamaha generator. Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone

My equipment:
  • A pair of Honda EU2000i generators, one being the companion, that came with the parallel cables and rv adapter plug.
  • Progressive Industries EMS-HW30c.
  • 2014 Rockwood Roo 233s

With most small generators the power is not properly grounded and it will show on an outlet tester there is an open ground condition. I have read some information that states to drive a rod into the ground and attach a ground wire to the generator. That is great if you are in an area with ideal soil, and not in the desert or an extremely rocky area. I did some research and found that the solution to this problem is to create a plug where the Neutral and Ground are bonded. I am opting for this solution to my problem so I do not have to drive a ground rod and try to subsequently pry that ground rod out every time I go camping with my generators.

First I went to (insert local hardware chain here) to purchase an outlet tester and a NEMA 5-15 plug. I found a really nifty one with an LED "tester" built in, but I still got a separate tester as well to use elsewhere as well.

I used a 12 gauge wire to jump the neutral/white side with the ground/green side. Note: Neutral is the side that should be a bigger blade or goes into the bigger blade in a receptacle.

After installing the wire I put the plug back together. This is basically just a plug with nothing else attached to it from the outside. I tested it on both generators, and it worked great. For me, it did not matter what generator or plug I used the neutral-ground bonded plug in to solve my open ground condition on my EMS. However, I was told by Mike Sokol I may want to keep it on the companion genny.

Total parts:
  • 1 NEMA 5-15 straight blade plug
  • 3/4" of 12g solid core wire

Hope this helps those of you who keep getting an open ground fault on your EMS or Surge protector.

NOTE: PICTURES AND A SHORT VIDEO WILL BE POSTED TOMORROW AFTERNOON

PS: thanks to Mike Sokol, Electrical Engineer and author of the No-Shock-Zone for walking me through this process and answering my questions in a timely manner.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:53 AM   #2

I always use a surge protector for shore power but Is a surge protector even needed with a generator? Honda and Yamaha have built in surge protection. I never use a surge protector with my Yamaha 2000 and it seems like nobody else does at the campgrounds either.

2013 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 26BHS
2011 Infinity QX56
maverick_415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #3

Probably not for surges, but the wiring in a generator could fail (somewhat more likely than a failure in a non-vibrating pedestal) and an open neutral could cause an over-voltage that would cause major damage to your RV. I'd say if you got it, use it.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_415 View Post
I always use a surge protector for shore power but Is a surge protector even needed with a generator? Honda and Yamaha have built in surge protection. I never use a surge protector with my Yamaha 2000 and it seems like nobody else does at the campgrounds either.
The OP has a hardwired EMS unit so the only solution is the cheater plug or put the EMS in bypass mode. I think the cheater is a great idea.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #5

Yes, my unit is hardwired and I would rather not bypass my EMS system even if running off a generator. So the n/g plug will trick my EMS into thinking it is grounded.

Read up on the link I provided and it will explain in detail the process and reasons for providing a n/g bond for your rv.

The pictures show the n/g bond jumper I made.

I hope the video uploads that I made that shows how the EMS works without the jumper and then with the jumper installed. The jumper solves the open ground condition present on most small generators. Hope this helps someone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6929.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	37976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6930.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	37977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6931.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	37978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6932.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	37979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6933.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	37980  

Attached Files
There was an error processing this video...

Old 08-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #6

Old 05-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #7

I have portable EMS, 50amp. I also have 2 Honda's 2000i that I hook in parallel, I have not hooked them up to this CC yet but maybe tomorrow just to make sure they will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #8

I had this same issue with my Powerhouse 3100 generator. Got the exact same info from Progressive Industries about this neutral to ground cheater plug and it has worked great for a year now. I use the cheater plug every time I'm on generator power and no problems.

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin the Life View Post
I use the cheater plug every time I'm on generator power and no problems.
X2
Old 05-04-2015, 09:29 PM   #10
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Must use....X3