Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2017, 07:03 PM   #1

Hooking up a small generator

I have a couple of questions I need answers to. If anyone has a thought I would appreciate it. I have a small Tail gator generator 900/ 700 watts. I know this will not run the AC and microwave, but I am wanting to use it when needed for lights, small appliances and TV.
First question is it OK to hook my RV power cord ,with an adapter, to it and run it through the main electrical system, not having the AC turned on, or should I just plug a regular extension cord in to us it?
Second question is there any potential problem, such as surges that might cause a problem with hooking my TV to it? I do not want to trash my new TV.
JesseP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:30 PM   #2

It's is ok to use an adapter. Your generator should be just fine to run your tv and recharge batteries. You may want to wait 15 minutes after turning on unless your batteries are pretty well charged. Most converters will run at high wattage/power to recharge batteries after a night of using the heater.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:58 PM   #3

Personally, I would not run any item with sophisticated electronics from the cheapest-of-the-cheap generators. It is also a very noisy and smelly generator, which won't make you any friends in a campsite.

Decent quality inverter gennies are available in the $400 area.

Another option is to buy a small PSW inverter, run it from your 12 volt battery, and charge the battery with the Tail Gator.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #4

I have personally used 4 different Harbor Freight 2 stroke generators in my past 4 RV's as a backup generator with NO problems.

They have very nice sine wave on a scope and voltage is spot on once she is warmed up and load is stablized.

GO AHEAD and use your 2 stroke generator for your TV. If your batteries are not fully charged, I'd wait a bit before putting any additional load on the generator.

My 2 stroke generator is a backup to my 3000 watt inverter generator which is a backup to my solar. The two generators I lug along get very little use but nice to have.

I do like using the 2 stroke generator to run my 120 VAC air compressor (3 gallon) when I'm checking tire pressures or using the compressor to blow out the lines.

If you use a quality 2 stroke oil such as a JASO FC or FD spec oil, smoke output at 40:1 is basically non-existent once engine is at operating temperature.

Sound level is a little loud about 67 dB at 20 feet pulling a 500 watt load but is isn't terribly annoying.

If you are out in the back country, this is a fine little generator and I recommend it wholeheartedly.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseP View Post
I have a couple of questions I need answers to. If anyone has a thought I would appreciate it. I have a small Tail gator generator 900/ 700 watts. I know this will not run the AC and microwave, but I am wanting to use it when needed for lights, small appliances and TV.
First question is it OK to hook my RV power cord ,with an adapter, to it and run it through the main electrical system, not having the AC turned on, or should I just plug a regular extension cord in to us it?
Second question is there any potential problem, such as surges that might cause a problem with hooking my TV to it? I do not want to trash my new TV.
1. Yes, it's OK to use your power cord.

2. I know with my Honda, I'll have the cord plugged in and will let it all run right away. If you're concerned, just turn off the main breaker for the electric in the camper, start the generator, and then turn it on.

However, the question you didn't ask... I personally would NOT run the generator for lights + TV. Lights should already be setup for 12v and run from the battery. The TV can be ran from a small inverter.

I use my generator to recharge my batteries and run high-load appliances (microwave, InstantPot, and A/C). I use the batteries to run everything else.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I guess I'm from a different camp...

1. Yes it is perfectly fine to plug your camper into a small generator.
You have already suggested you understand about loads so you will simply need to be conscious of what is on as far as loads when you plug it in. As mentioned, turn off the breakers to the things you don't want someone to inadvertently use and you'll be fine.

I have a small 800 watt Honda (non-inverter) that I have done this with for years. Keeps the battery charged (via the converter) so the 12v side of things (lights/vent fans) can operate for long periods of time.

2. As far as the TV... use it too.
The power supplies in today's TVs aren't nearly as susceptible to 'dirty power'. They will operate flawlessly on just about anything. Most power problems for appliances are caused when the generator runs out of gas under load. All the surging and voltage spikes that occur when running out of gas is what ruins a lot of equipment.

Just my 2¢... YMMV.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #7

Hard to beat the Powerhorse small generator

It is the size of a fairly small cooler. It is absolutely one of the quietest out there on the market, and (I saved the best for last) it comes with a 30 amp plug built in (the only generator that size that I know of that has that).

I carry an additional battery to power my CPAP. I can run the TV off of that if I need to. But when I hook up the generator I also hook up a decent sized charger to put the amps back in the battery. Most dry campgrounds are becoming increasingly restrictive of generator use, not only just hours of operation but I have also seen some who restrict it to 2 hours per day. And you will get a visit from the camp host if you exceed that.

Just be frugal with your lights. Use flashlights. Turn stuff off when you aren't using it. We are going to a National Park for a full week next year with no electricity at all. 2 hours a day of generator use should charge things well enough.
YoBobH42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:05 PM   #8

The spec says 91 db online. Be prepared to get dirty looks at the campground. Recently had a guy park next to us with a loud, open frame generator fire it up and go inside his camper to enjoy his AC till the curfew (10pm or so). The rest of us were trying to enjoy the evening and be outdoors. What a way to ruin everyone's experience. As soon as possible, we moved our RV. I'd wait and buy a Champion, HF, etc. inverter style of generator when you have the funds. Will the Tail Gator work, sure, but I wouldn't use it for camping. JMO.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #9

I think several people are responding to several types of generators, not the tiny 2 cycle one the OP is asking about.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #10

Decibels can be a problem

There are already policies in place at several Federal campgrounds I have stayed at which limit the decibels a generator can spew. I have seen at least one occasion where 2 families on side by side sites brought a construction style 7000 watt generator that was very loud and proceeded to fire it up and power both campers with cords hooked into it.

There was a complaint (not by me), camp host was notified, camp host contacted ranger, ranger brought a decibel meter in, showed that it was over the allowed limit (way over it) and made them cut it off. They left the next day.

My understanding is that a phone app is in development which will do this via the app and every ranger will have it on their phone soon.
YoBobH42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:46 PM   #11

I keep a small 1200w generator in the bed of my truck. It is bolted to a sheet of plywood in the bed near the tailgate. When I need to use it I flip back the cap and start it while it is still in the bed of the truck. The sides of the bed with the tailgate closed direct the noise up to make it even quieter.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
I keep a small 1200w generator in the bed of my truck. It is bolted to a sheet of plywood in the bed near the tailgate. When I need to use it I flip back the cap and start it while it is still in the bed of the truck. The sides of the bed with the tailgate closed direct the noise up to make it even quieter.

I have a Champion I use the same way while camping without power. I can't hear it inside. Most everyone else is in the same boat at these sites so no problem. Last time I was next to a MH with on board generator, he was loud, but not overly so. Turn the tv up and go to sleep.

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #13

Cabelas just had the Champion 2000 for $400 . Take a look seemed like a screaming deal

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #14

Db volume

I have an app on my iPad that works pretty well. It’s called dB volume meter. I got it when a cranky neighbor kept calling the cops when my grandsons band practiced in my barn. The volume at the property line was 58. Needless to say the cops told then to stop complaining. Got it in the App Store.
KenFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
I picked up a 2200W Westinghouse recently that is pretty quiet. I plan on setting it in the bed of my truck while running. Hopefully that will deflect a lot of the noise upward and help mask it a bit. It's not very loud at all when it's not under load... and not that loud when it is!
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:26 PM   #16

NEC rules say that rvs are wired without a neutral-ground bond so make sure your generator has the bond to be safe. Shore power has the bond already.
aquenichet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquenichet View Post
NEC rules say that rvs are wired without a neutral-ground bond so make sure your generator has the bond to be safe. Shore power has the bond already.
It's called an "Edison Plug", can be bought or made in 5 minutes.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
It's called an "Edison Plug", can be bought or made in 5 minutes.
Is that when you take the neutral and connect it to the ground pin on the plug?

I put the Progressive Industries EMS (hard wired) in my camper, and on the generator, it shows the floating ground error.

If I do the neutral bond on a plug and connect to the gen, would it alleviate this error?
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent View Post
Is that when you take the neutral and connect it to the ground pin on the plug?

I put the Progressive Industries EMS (hard wired) in my camper, and on the generator, it shows the floating ground error.

If I do the neutral bond on a plug and connect to the gen, would it alleviate this error?
Yes, this is exactly how it works.
However, if you do make your own use a tester to check it and double check it to make sure you have connected the ground and neutral and not accidentally ground and hot!!!
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator