Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #1

Hooking up solar

I recently bought a 45 watt solar kit. Will it hurt any thing to hook it to the battery while the battery is still hooked to my camper. The solar panel has a controller. Since the battery will be going directly to the lights and etc with out going through the converter I don't want to get spikes from the solar charger. I dry camp in Colorado and am only able to charge my battery with my generator certain hours of the day. Now my frig (on propane ) runs out of starter power about 4:00 in the morning. Thought the solar panel might give my battery a little extra charge and get me by until about 10:00 oclock. Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #2

I have never unhooked my battery from the camper while my 45 watt solar is connected and have been doing it this way for 2 years now with no problems. 12 volts is 12 volts and the camper system don't know the difference in my opinion.

enjoy.

Dale and Terri
Ripon CA.
2013 Wildwood 26tbss
2013 Tundra 4X4

Old 06-14-2013, 12:11 AM   #3

As long as your solar converter is a battery tender and not just a convertor, you should be good. The voltage should hold around 12-14 volts. Anything above that would shut off a battery tender.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:03 AM   #4

hooking up solar

Thanks for your responses. Better to ask than to be sorry later.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce10 View Post
I recently bought a 45 watt solar kit. Will it hurt any thing to hook it to the battery while the battery is still hooked to my camper. The solar panel has a controller. Since the battery will be going directly to the lights and etc with out going through the converter I don't want to get spikes from the solar charger. I dry camp in Colorado and am only able to charge my battery with my generator certain hours of the day. Now my frig (on propane ) runs out of starter power about 4:00 in the morning. Thought the solar panel might give my battery a little extra charge and get me by until about 10:00 oclock. Any comments would be appreciated.
You must have quite a bit of a drain or a small battery if a generator cannot keep up. A large external charger and a bigger battery may be an option also. What is your daily power consumption, or what kind of 12 volt stuff are you using and for how long?
Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #6

Also, how old is the battery? It may be time to get a fresh one. Definitely go for a deep cycle or a couple of golf cart batteries since you boondock it quite a bit.