Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #1

House battery information please

I need to replace my house batteries, can someone help me with the basics? How do I get the correct size (it's a tight fit under my stairs) where best to shop? I am only interested in replacing with type I have, how hard will they be to hook up if I take a picture of the old set-up? Thanks to all!
Old 11-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter View Post
I need to replace my house batteries, can someone help me with the basics? How do I get the correct size (it's a tight fit under my stairs) where best to shop? I am only interested in replacing with type I have, how hard will they be to hook up if I take a picture of the old set-up? Thanks to all!
Look at the top of your existing battery for a label. It will indicate the size with a number/letter combination Battery dimensions conform to a BCI standard and number.

If the number is one of the common ones like "24" "27", "29", or "31", often preceded by "Group", that's the size battery you want.

Make sure you are getting a Deep Cycle battery rather than a "Starting/Deep Cycle" type. Since you are most likely replacing a pair of 12 volt batteries I've had great luck with Interstate batteries they sell to fishermen for their trolling motors.

Don't get confused over "CCA" (Cold Cranking Amp) ratings on a battery marked Deep Cycle. Any battery can have a Cold Cranking Amp rating. With Deep Cycle batteries those ratings will just be lower than regular starting batteries. Purchase the battery with the highest "RC" number (reserve capacity) for the Group Number you have and are replacing.

Lastly, to make sure you have no issues matching up the connections, make note of the positive and negative posts. With the posts closest to the side you are looking at note which post is on the left and which is on the right.

Make sure your replacements have the same post orientation. Best to take a picture on your phone and compare, take old batteries with you, or draw a diagram. Having posts reversed in the battery box can sometimes make one or more wires too short. A problem nobody wants.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #3

I believe your 24R is similar to my Prism 24G (side and rear slides). Mine has 2 group 24 batteries under the stairs. Group 27's are just a hair too big for mine, but may fit yours. Be sure to measure what you have and what you want to put in. As mentioned above, take a picture of the wiring. Be sure to get deep cycle and not dual purpose Marine/Starting batteries.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery