Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #1

How do I disassemble this light fixture?!

Can't for the life of me figure out how to take this apart.
The fixture is over the dining room table of a 2010 Surveyor.
Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171022_101022-1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	155982  
tennisgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #2

Most fixtures like that the globe comes off, the dark ring stays in place. Use a small screwdriver and GENTLY try to pry the globe away from the ring. You should be able to see tabs that you can disengage and when you get more than halfway around the globe should slip right off.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Most fixtures like that the globe comes off, the dark ring stays in place. Use a small screwdriver and GENTLY try to pry the globe away from the ring. You should be able to see tabs that you can disengage and when you get more than halfway around the globe should slip right off.
Well, I took a flashlight and looked around the metal ring that holds the glass globe in place and the metal rim does not appear to have any tabs.
I did try to pry the metal ring with a small screwdriver but do I try to pry towards the center or away from the center of the globe? Or wedge the blade in there and twist?
It looks like one continuous metal ring that fits into an indentation in the globe.
I mean really, FR, just want to change the light bulb. Whatever happened to threaded pipe and a nut or shade screws!
Old 11-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #4

Is the globe threaded on? Try turning the globe.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisgrl View Post
Well, I took a flashlight and looked around the metal ring that holds the glass globe in place and the metal rim does not appear to have any tabs.
I did try to pry the metal ring with a small screwdriver but do I try to pry towards the center or away from the center of the globe? Or wedge the blade in there and twist?
It looks like one continuous metal ring that fits into an indentation in the globe.
I mean really, FR, just want to change the light bulb. Whatever happened to threaded pipe and a nut or shade screws!
If that's a glass globe we have a whole other thing from what I am used to.

Perhaps push up and turn it to loosen?
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If the globe truly is GLASS, then it should turn counter-clockwise (about a 1/4") to loosen the tabs and it should drop down.

I have two in my 5th wheel slide-outs that look just like that.
They do not have glass globes.
They are plastic and inserting a thin blade and twisting at strategic points releases the tabs. I think there were three or four tabs.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

I have a glass globe over my table. It has a knob in the center that you turn counter-clockwise. The problem is the knob is smooth and hard to get a hold of.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If the globe truly is GLASS, then it should turn counter-clockwise (about a 1/4") to loosen the tabs and it should drop down.

I have two in my 5th wheel slide-outs that look just like that.
They do not have glass globes.
They are plastic and inserting a thin blade and twisting at strategic points releases the tabs. I think there were three or four tabs.
It sounds like glass when I tap it. Are the tabs in the metal ring or in the globe? I guess I need to clarify that. Sorry so late with reply but internet in the park we are staying at is sketch at best.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisgrl View Post
It sounds like glass when I tap it. Are the tabs in the metal ring or in the globe? I guess I need to clarify that. Sorry so late with reply but internet in the park we are staying at is sketch at best.
Ok, well, I had heavy leather work gloves on and it is glass and it does turn a quarter turn ccw. I'll be honest here and say that it broke. It would never have come loose I think without doing so as it has been such a long time since it was taken off, 7 almost 8 years.
It also has 3 grooves or indentations that fix it onto the metal ring.
So if it is glass be sure to wear heavy leather gloves to take off as it might break. Safety glasses too, maybe. I put a towel underneath as well.
We may just end up replacing the whole thing but at least we will have light now as we will short term replace the bulbs.
Thanks everyone for the input and advice!

Tags
light