Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #1

How long will new batteries will keep charge when disconnected

I am getting my 2017 Berkshire XL 40 in a couple weeks and since we live in an area that does not allow RVS to be parked on driveway, I made arrangements to store it a few miles away in an outdoor storage facility...(indoors would have been great but at $700 a month I could not justify it).

I understand the RV comes with a battery shut off switch, so nothing should drain them at storage but since I don't have shore power how do I charge them? How long will their retain their charge? Will the engine charge the 4 deep cycle 6 volt house batteries or most likely will I need to run the generator while underway?
Thank you

J

2017 Berkshire XL40BH-380
Chessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
Site Team

They will hold their charge for a few months IF there is nothing draining them. I say that because, even though you turn the disconnect switch off, there are still a few things that have parasitic draw on the battery.

Even if the engine will charge the batteries, you will most likely want to run the generator so you can run the roof A/C.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #3

The typical self discharge rate is approx 5% per month with no parasitic draw. That rate will vary depending on extreme hot or cold temps.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking of installing solar panels on the roof but I don't know the first thing about solar power.

What size would I need to keep my batteries charged while parked at the storage lot? I also may want to keep the residential fridge running, so I don't have to take everything out every time we put it away. How involved and costly is the installation?

This would be just for storage, when I am camping without shore power, I can always run the genset to keep everything charged.

Any idea where to find that information? I have 4 deep cycle 6 volts batteries as house batteries.
Thank you

2017 Berkshire XL40BH-380
Chessie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery