Old 10-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
daydreaming about camping

how many people run 2 house batteries?

I am going to install a battery cut-off, and the thought occurred to me that now is the time to add a second battery, but cannot decide if I want/need it.

Just curious how many people have installed the second battery, and what real world benefits you saw. Really only use the battery for the tongue jacks and possibly stab jacks, always plugged in by the time I do the slides etc.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #2

If you don't dry camp, then you don't really need another battery. Essentially, you are doubling your run time while unplugged to shore power. So for jacks, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want extra run time on refrigerator, or furnace, then I'd get the extra battery.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

We could run a poll and it might even be informative.

In reality as Wincrasher said, it only matters if you camp in places without AC power. If you "dry camp" - "Boondock" (no hookups), you will need bigger, better, and more batteries than a person who only uses their OEM battery when they open their slides or hooking up and disconnecting.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
We could run a poll and it might even be informative.

In reality as Wincrasher said, it only matters if you camp in places without AC power. If you "dry camp" - "Boondock" (no hookups), you will need bigger, better, and more batteries than a person who only uses their OEM battery when they open their slides or hooking up and disconnecting.
But then it would devolve into a 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton discussion...

Sounds like no real advantage for me personally. I can't imagine boondocking this beast. Just need a battery disconect for storage.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Anacortesians

When we bought our rig (used) it had one very weak house battery. It was the original and had made it through 8 years. Since the battery tray was big enough for two that size, I went with a pair of Costco deep-cycle 12V RV/Marine batteries.

We didn't plan on much in the way of dry camping, but the batteries were cheap enough that I decided to fill the tray. We sometimes leave the MH unplugged at home, but we've never had the battery power run down.

If you do decide to double up, I'd recommend two new ones if the one you now have is more than about 5 years old.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #6

When installing multiple batteries it is a best practice to make sure that all batteries are the same size/model and are approximately the same age.

My Solera, that I am waiting 3 more weeks for, will replace our Trailmanor TT. With the Trailmanor and a pair of 12 volt group 24 Interstate RV/Marine batteries I can go 3 days without charging batteries.

Since April 2005 I have had hookups 3 times.

Some people go camping. Some go RVing, Some go boon docking.

I try to boon dock and I try to avoid RVing.

Each style has its own unique requirements.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
But then it would devolve into a 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton discussion...

Sounds like no real advantage for me personally. I can't imagine boondocking this beast. Just need a battery disconect for storage.

When your battery goes dead on your trailer, you should get a 3/4 ton truck. That's funny!! Thanks for the laugh!

Back on topic.. I did just replace the factory battery with 2 6 volt 235 AH golf cart batteries as I do end up in places that do not have shore power but great campsites that are not full.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
there's a difference between boondocking and dry camping. actually, you'd probably have an easier time boondocking with it, than dry camping with it.

since California state parks rarely have hookups of any kind, you have to be willing to dry camp, if you want to stay in their campgrounds.
so, we have two batteries and a Honda 2000.

though we've never boondocked yet, it still may be something we'll try next year.

but if you always have electric hookups, there's absolutely no reason to have two, unless you need the insurance in case one fails.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #9

When I had my boat set up, they rigged a 3-way switch - either battery 1, or battery 2 or both batteries or all off. When I asked my dealer to set up my TT that way, he looked at me like I was crazy and refused to do it!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
When I had my boat set up, they rigged a 3-way switch - either battery 1, or battery 2 or both batteries or all off. When I asked my dealer to set up my TT that way, he looked at me like I was crazy and refused to do it!
Same here, my boat has a three way switch and two batteries. We often need the second battery in the boat. I am going with the same style switch which made me wonder if I should do the second battery at the same time.

Tags
battery