Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #41
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakami View Post
Ok, you win, yours is bigger than mine!
Now I have to go and hug my 60kw Kohler, it's feelings are hurt.

But hey, mine runs on propane

Geoff
we have several at different locations across the country. i am responsible for both a 600kw and an 800kw 3 phase 480V generator. both produce about 800amps. we always look at new solutions, and propane/natural gas come up from time to time. you will notice that when looking at these models that you need "more" generator for the same power as the gasoline or diesel versions. the dual fuel models are also down rated in power when running on propane.

we run diesel generators because they handle a changing load "better" than the gasoline versions. for an RV, this isnt really a big deal, but for a Data Center, this can mean the difference between equipment staying running or failing.

for those running solar, i will try to get a picture of our battery banks we use for our dual UPS systems.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #42
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
we have several at different locations across the country. i am responsible for both a 600kw and an 800kw 3 phase 480V generator. both produce about 800amps. we always look at new solutions, and propane/natural gas come up from time to time. you will notice that when looking at these models that you need "more" generator for the same power as the gasoline or diesel versions. the dual fuel models are also down rated in power when running on propane.

we run diesel generators because they handle a changing load "better" than the gasoline versions. for an RV, this isnt really a big deal, but for a Data Center, this can mean the difference between equipment staying running or failing.

for those running solar, i will try to get a picture of our battery banks we use for our dual UPS systems.

Hi
The biggest I saw when I was running a panel shop was on one of our many government jobs this one north of Sudbury, 200KW 3 phase 600V unit, it was the standby for a water and waste treatment plant. (note, typical gov job, our portion was just manufacture the controls, installation and commissioning; $1.3M Cdn.)

Here at my dream job, the Kohler is our standby for kitchen, office and water/sewage. As we have no diesel on site we run it off of propane (744,000 BTUs). Nearest diesel pump is 61km away, we are rather remote here in the bush. So far as of May 01 this year, 172 hours including 8 hours overnight!
Being an electrician, I would love to see one of these data centre set-ups, always inquisitive, even at my age.

Cheers
Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #43

Quote:
Panels attached to your roof, done correctly, will give you years of service, much cleaner and quiet compared to the geny, just clean them occasionally. The Ryobi I suspect will die shortly after your 3 year warranty expires.

You mention that you can only use the panels when stationary, quite correct if not attached permanently but then again you are probably not going to use the geny when driving down the road; you could but your tow vehicle is probably charging the battery set considerably more than the geny anyway.

Geoff
I monitor the charge from my tow vehicle with my smartphone (via Victron with Bluetooth) and find that initially I might get 15+ amp flowing from from TV to TT Batteries. In no time at all the current drops to around 5-6 amp due to the ridiculously small wire the vehicle manufacturer uses to feed the trailer receptacle. When the batteries are being charged via generator and converter/charger from a 60% SOC the current flowing into the batteries started at 56 amp and tapered down to a steady 25 amp rate for several hours until it reached the final stage were it ran 2.5 amp or so until finished.

When running the generator the limit to charge power is that of the converter. The 12 V "charge" outlet/connection on most generators is only good to charge a small starting battery for the generator itself. Run the AC output to the converter and batteries will be charged as fast as possible short of cooking them with an old "Gas Station Charger".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #44

If your going to use a generator make sure it is chained down to the biggest thing you can find. These things have a bad habit of walking away when your gone or even at night when your sleeping. Solar is usually not a theft problem but they have been taken right off peoples roofs. Especially in remote boondocking areas. Good luck and safe travels.
Jim & peg. Jake the camper dog. RIP my friend. 01-11-2010 / 02-26-2020. 2018 flagstaff 8528ikws fifth wheel pushing 2014 f-150 eco-boost super crew. 2017 camped 14 weeks. 2018 4 months in texas. 2019 4 months in texas. 2019 21 days in michigan. 2019 2 months in arizona. 2020 4 months in arizona. U.S. Air Force Retired. 100% DAV
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer26 View Post
If your going to use a generator make sure it is chained down to the biggest thing you can find. These things have a bad habit of walking away when your gone or even at night when your sleeping. Solar is usually not a theft problem but they have been taken right off peoples roofs. Especially in remote boondocking areas. Good luck and safe travels.
Screw two of these into the ground leaving just enough room to set your generator between the loops. Then run a nice heavy security cable through the loops, put generator on top of secured cable, then run cable over the top of the generator and through the carry handle(s), finishing with a nice strong padlock.

My Champion has carry handles on each end so it's a natural for this method.

For those who say that this isn't enough, remember that a determined thief will steal anything they want. You just want to make stealing your stuff harder than the guy's in the next campsite over.

If you want to add for good measure get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Keyless-Bluet...41361898&psc=1

Set it up with the vibration mode on and anyone messing with your generator will be deterred when the 110db alarm starts sounding.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #46

Quote:
you could but your tow vehicle is probably charging the battery set considerably more than the geny anyway.

Geoff
My 2018 Ford F-150 has a 14 gauge wire going through the 7 pin connector for 12V "battery charging"!!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:16 AM   #47
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
My 2018 Ford F-150 has a 14 gauge wire going through the 7 pin connector for 12V "battery charging"!!

Another good reason to not buy my new Ford yet, my 2013 has a 10ga charge wire to the relay and back to the connector.

Oh, the other reason not buying yet, I want a big engine.
Ok people, lets not run off on a tangent about Eco-Boost, this is the wrong thread.

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
Old 08-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #48

Quote:
Another good reason to not buy my new Ford yet, my 2013 has a 10ga charge wire to the relay and back to the connector.
You can always change it out to a bigger gauge. If you really want to run significant current, you really want to do a DC to DC converter anyway to get rid of the voltage drop.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #49
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
You can always change it out to a bigger gauge. If you really want to run significant current, you really want to do a DC to DC converter anyway to get rid of the voltage drop.

Correct, when I eventually replace my 2013 TV (with it's factory 10ga charge wire) with someone's newest truck incarnation and find it is only 14ga I will do as with my previous TVs and replace the charge wire with a #6 with a sense loop from the connector back to the alternator; but this doesn't help with my pet peeve with Ford right now (and the reason I have not replaced my 2013 either), I want a big V8, no turbos, just brute power, putting the 6.2 back into the F150 as an option.

That being said, I am beginning to break down and look at Chevy/GMC with their 6.3 engine, one co-worker (a Ford buyer for 44 years) and a friend have done this already.

Geoff
Old 08-22-2018, 04:37 PM   #50

I’m getting the predator 2000 from what I’ve been told it’s perfect for small camper
Old 08-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonaldk4 View Post
I’m getting the predator 2000 from what I’ve been told it’s perfect for small camper
I wouldn't call it "perfect". Won't run the a/c unless you have a 8k a/c.
If you will never need a/c, then any 2000w inverter generator is perfect.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:01 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonaldk4 View Post
X2.
I'm hoping my inverter absorbs the startup.
If not, I guess I get an easy start.

Wish I had one to test with.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:44 PM   #53

2000W generators

As I posted earlier, I use a Honda 2000. Well, if it's AC time, I use 2 to get the 30A needed to run the AC. Otherwise 1 handles the job just fine. I have a 35' fifth wheel.

Just be sure that it is unlikely that you will be able to run the AC with 1. A larger generator will work, but they are far heavier.
Eidolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #54

Generator

Ended up getting the predator 3500
Works flawlessly with ac
Quiet enough for me
Starts easy very fuel efficient 10 hrs + on a tank with ac running
Ddonaldk4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator