Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #1

How to charge multiple batteries at the same time

Hi folks,
I am new to this repair stuff.. I have a class A with a residential fridge and Forest River has 4 batteries, I assume connected together that will keep it running while on the road.
My question's are as follows: if I put a battery charger on one of the batteries, will all of them get charged? Also, can I charge them while the coach is plugged in? And, how can I test to see if the converter is charging them while plugged in or on the road.
They appear to be taking a full charge and the charger (independent) shuts off or the green light comes on. If I shut it off and turn it back on it takes a full charge again.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!
scusset1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #2

The converter is charging them if the top LED on the battery panel is lit. That isn't 100% it is "charging." The engine is charging them if the same is true when running disconnected from shore power.

If you have a voltmeter, the converter will charge at 14, 13.6 and 13.3 or so, depending on how charged they are. The engine will charge them at around 14.2 or so.

You shouldn't need a separate charger.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:18 PM   #3

The converter doesn't charge while on the road. It is powered by 120 volts AC. Your vehicle's engine alternator may charge the batteries while driving.

As to whether they are connected together, why not just look at the batteries and see if they are wired in parallel.

Previous poster is correct, you don't need a separate charger.
Ilovemywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:10 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Be careful, you may have 4 x 6 volt batteries. Putting a 12v charger on one battery would be bad.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #5

Thanks so much. I have 12 volt in succession.
scusset1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Be careful, you may have 4 x 6 volt batteries. Putting a 12v charger on one battery would be bad.
VERY TRUE. You have to see what you have. It may be 4 12v batteries in parallel or 2 pairs of 6v batteries. They will be two in series tied to two more in series by linking them in parallel. Usually charging one 12v or pair of 6s will charge the others but BE SURE TO LOOK AND KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

I disagree with some above. If you are staying off connections at camp and have to charge once or twice a day with the generator, a separate battery charger at the same time that the converter is charging and you can shorten the necessary generator time.

If I had a residential frig, I'd be looking for a convenient way to install two more batteries.

Oh, and goes without saying, a solar sytem, of at least 100 watts per battery.

Lots of good links on the forum and YouTube about battery condition meters, charging, solar and general battery use n maintenance.

Good luck. Enjoy.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:57 PM   #7

Good basic info on multiple battery systems here:

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:09 PM   #8

If you wish to charge 4 - 12V batteries separate from the converter which WILL charge them...then you need to invest in a charger that can provide at LEAST 10% of the combined amp hours of your bank. Example...if you have FOUR 100 amp hour batteries...you need a charge of 1/10 of 400 amps...or 40 amps. 80 amps would be better and anything over that would be overkill.
Unless you have a special reason...I would avoid going the separate charger route as your converter is quite adequate. To know if it is working...while plugged in OR running your generator...a voltmeter at your battery terminals (any battery +&-)
should read a minimum of 13.2Volts.
If you are storing your rig for some time...FULLY charge the batteries and then remove the negative ground wire from the batts. They will be just fine even after 90 days without attention if you do this. If you ever get a volt reading below 12.4 in storage...time to recharge fully.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Good basic info on multiple battery systems here:

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Interesting read, but a little too much misinformation.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries