Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2018, 11:11 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to MendocinoExplorer Send a message via Skype™ to MendocinoExplorer
How to connect a running generator safely to a travel trailer?

Details:
2018 Predator 3500 invertor/generator
25 foot ‘RV HD extension cord’
2017 F. R. Sonoma 220RBS travel trailer
WFCO WF-8955 PEC convertor/charger w/ hard wired cable connection

The instructions in my generator specify that I should not place a load on the generator until the little green ready light is steady (and presumably, the current is ‘clean’). My technique so far involves disconnecting the trailer’s shore power electrical power cable from the extension cord that leads to my generator.

Once the generator power is steady, and the green light is lit, I plug the travel trailer shore power cable into the extension cord. This works great when the weather is dry. However, it is been raining during our current camping trip. This means that I am standing outside in the wet puddle, with the wet travel trailer plug, and a wet, hot, generator cable. Doing so gives me and my DW the willies.

It seems to me that I could use the WFCO 120 V circuit breaker labeled “main“ to disconnect my travel trailer from any incoming current generated by the inverter generator. This would allow me to leave the generator’s extension cord and the travel trailer’s power cord connected outside. Of course, these are stored in a way that they are not susceptible to water, and rain. Once the generator has reached a steady supply of current, we would turn on the main circuit breaker.

Questions:

A) Am I correct in the above assumptions, and that both my body and the travel trailer electronics are protected by such a procedure? Will it actually work?

B) What are the implications, if any, for the 12 V aspect of the WFCO? Is the 12 V system protected while the main breaker is disconnected?

Thanks in advance for any insight and caution you might be able to provide.

Rennie
MendocinoExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:48 PM   #2

The main breaker is oto disconnect your RV from the shore power or your generator in this case.

Yes, you can leave the generator connected to your shore power connection and leave the main breaker off until the generator’s green light comes on.

The WFCO converter gets it power from the shore power or in your case the generator. If you don’t have shore power your WFCO converter is not in operation. In other words it is not charging your batteries which is its main function.

The main breaker also supplies all the other 120 volts breakers that feed any 120 volt wall sockets or other 120 volt appliances, along with supplying power to your converter which will have its own breaker.

You will be safe if you connect your generator to your RV with the main breaker off. Start your generator and when green light comes on then flip the main breaker.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:39 AM   #3

Yea I would just connect everything and when it’s time just flip the breaker like you would in your house.
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

Yeah, I would NOT be plugging in a 30 amp cable to a running generator, unless there was a breaker for that receptacle on the generator. ESPECIALLY in wet weather. Shut off mains/breakers etc, then start your generator that is already connected. Your instinct about making connections to a running generator in wet weather was correct. Always have these connections shielded from elements too. These generators are NOT weatherproof. I have a storm shield cover for my generators if they must be used in foul weather.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #5

Definitely your WFCO has a main breaker you can flip off and it shuts down shore power/generator. I use my breakers every time I hook to the genie and even turn them on slowly, spacing them out so there’s no risk of surge.

Related side note; the recent hurricane in the Carolinas saw a man die while trying to plug in to their generator from being shocked in the rain. Better to sit in the dark than run the risk of dying.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

I read about that guy. There's always one. Or one less I should say.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #7

Since you have an inverter generator, turning off master breaker when starting isn't as big a deal as contractor style generators that do surge.

Is it best practice to use breaker when starting inverter gennies? Absolutely. Will you mess anything up if you don't? Very unlikely.

I have a breaker on my parallel connectors so I can switch that off, start both my gennies, then turn it back on. I actually remember to use it about 25% of the time. No problems in the 12 years we have had the two gennies.

I also have friends that have a remote start inverter generator. They never use any breakers when starting up.
So, in my opinion, it's good practice to use breakers but not absolutely necessary.

As far as plugging anything electrical together in the rain....... Darwin's Awards comes to mind.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to MendocinoExplorer Send a message via Skype™ to MendocinoExplorer
Thanks everybody!

I tried that method this morning, and it worked perfectly, as you all described. This brings great peace and comfort to my marriage.

FYI: I do have our Predator generator protected in the back of the truck, in a Rigid tool box. It has plenty of ventilation, but no rain gets inside.

Thanks again for everybody’s help.

Warm, toasty and safe in the mountains,

Rennie
Old 10-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #9

I'm curious of the rigid toolcase and the cover mentioned in this post. Please include a picture of what you mention to assist me choosing the best path for me to select.
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #10

Kind of obliquely related to the topic...for what it's worth.

There are many ways to shelter your generator from rain.
I came up with a very simple way that can be adapted to any generator.

I use an industrial garbage bag to make a "tent" for the generator. My little 2KW Generac fits under a 40 gallon bag, but it's easy to find up to 60 gallon bags on Amazon, and a small poly tarp would be good, too.

I use a fiberglass rod reflective driveway marker as a ridge pole. A bigger generator might benefit from two.
I use little ball-end bungees to hold the rod(s) to the generator handle(s). You can just make out one in the first photo right next to where I tied the extension cord around the generator handle...it has an orange ball.
I use tent stakes to hold down 3 corners, and a rock to hold down the 4th corner (giving easy access to the starter pull rope, etc.)

The fiberglass rods and tent stakes combine to enable the exhaust to flow freely and air-flow into the "cabinet" for cooling. I've been doing this for years. I started after one particularly rainy trip when we were stuck inside, the generator was doing its job, and suddenly it started acting up from being in the downpour. This simple tent keeps it dry...including the cord connection at the generator.

An added benefit is that the tent camouflages the generator somewhat from prying eyes. Most generators are brightly colored (mine is orange), and invite theft. Predators are "Honda Red," so they are particularly attractive. I use a 100' 12/3 AWG extension cord to move the genny away from our PUP (when possible) to keep the noise to a minimum. So, in certain situations, the genny is vulnerable to a "bolt-cutter and grab" theft. The bag does a nice job of concealing it from all but determined thieves.

I'm a cheap SOB, so I'm still using the same bag I started with (even thought I have a big box of them).....it's corners are heavily perforated with tent stake holes, but these are really good at holding the plastic bag in place. It's still going strong after years of use.

One warning. Be careful handling the fiberglass rods. Either wear gloves or handle only by the reflective strip. The rods develop tiny splinters that are nasty in your hands. My rod does double duty. I push it thru a small hole in the ball connector and down thru the clevis pin that holds the foot on my tongue jack. This tall, easily visible marker keeps me from backing into the tongue when parked in my driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator 1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	598.4 KB
ID:	188352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator 2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	612.4 KB
ID:	188353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator 3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	565.9 KB
ID:	188354  
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #11

Same here... I don't initially plug shore or gen cable into RV unless either pedestal breaker is off of RV main breaker is off. Once connected and lights are green I turn on pedestal breaker or RV main breaker.

I know the generator instructions say that about connecting, but most gens have an internal switch that doesn't start putting out power until up to speed and developing full power. I have a remote start and it starts and works fine.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:39 PM   #12

If you have a Progressive EMS it will provide the protection needed for both the generator and RV. It won’t allow any current pass through for up to two minutes or so. By the time it lets power through the generator should be very stabilized.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #13

Hi
I bought the Rigid toolbox at http://www.homedepot.com. The model is: 48R-OS.

I like it because:

A) It has locks that are almost impossible to get into without a key.

B) It has a lid that opens 90°, but is also rain tight with the gasket.

C) With the generator running, and the lid shut on the toolbox, I can get 53 dB, 10 feet away from the truck.

I cut holes in the sides so that I have generator exhaust, fresh air intake, and hot air exhaust vents. Keeps the generator happy. I installed a very expensive inline 120 V fan which I plug into the generator while it is running. If I had to do this again, I would use a 12 V computer fan or maybe multiple computer fans ( which would be much cheaper ).

My tow vehicle is a Ram diesel. There is plenty of room inside the Rigid tool box for a 5 gallon container of diesel fuel, as well as ropes, other tools, etc. that I like to have along in our trips. I removed the 3 tool trays that normally live inside of the box, so the photo would be more clear.

Rennie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25C8BA69-4DC9-4F13-8CDA-87ECFE31D396.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	188374  
MendocinoExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:12 PM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

As long as you have enough ventilation you should be fine. Jim, way to improvise!!! I got sick of improvising and finally broke down and got StormShield for my open frame generator at home, and an adaptor kit to use it on my inverter generators on the road.

I too, am a cheap SOB by the way!
Old 10-05-2018, 06:24 PM   #15
Ham Call N8SAC

I haven’t started using my new 3500 inverter from HF buton the 4 KW Kohler that I have been using . I have built in a delay circuit. I can dill in the delay I want. Usually had it set on 1 minute 30 sec. from the time the gen set started to it turned the power on to the Trailer. That let the gen set get up to speed before the electric came on line. I would say you would be OK if you didn’t have things like the AC on.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #16
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Re stopping theft...use a bike lock cable instead of chain. It doesn't cut as easily if at all with a bolt cutter. One of these cables will secure two Honda 2kw gennies to my TT frame, and since they're so quiet, we hardly hear them inside the TT.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MendocinoExplorer View Post
Hi
I bought the Rigid toolbox at http://www.homedepot.com. The model is: 48R-OS.

I like it because:

A) It has locks that are almost impossible to get into without a key.

B) It has a lid that opens 90°, but is also rain tight with the gasket.

C) With the generator running, and the lid shut on the toolbox, I can get 53 dB, 10 feet away from the truck.

I cut holes in the sides so that I have generator exhaust, fresh air intake, and hot air exhaust vents. Keeps the generator happy. I installed a very expensive inline 120 V fan which I plug into the generator while it is running. If I had to do this again, I would use a 12 V computer fan or maybe multiple computer fans ( which would be much cheaper ).

My tow vehicle is a Ram diesel. There is plenty of room inside the Rigid tool box for a 5 gallon container of diesel fuel, as well as ropes, other tools, etc. that I like to have along in our trips. I removed the 3 tool trays that normally live inside of the box, so the photo would be more clear.

Rennie

Very nice setup. That's a Rigid "Job Box" used on construction sites to secure tools, etc. we have a bunch in the company. The only way into them is to cut through the top or sides. You cannot get to the padlocks as they are actually inside the box; can't get a more secure storage box than one of these.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, trailer, travel, travel trailer