Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2018, 01:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrosecity View Post
I was pleased to learn Steve-W is using the ScangaugeII and found the Xgauges easy to program. I should be receiving my Scangauge from amazon in the next day or so and will be installing it and setting it up sometime soon. I liked Tombsy's suggestion to install in the 'coin holder compartment.' I think the trick will be getting that insert out to run the OBD thru the back and down to the port. I will have to study that and may contact Brian (Tombsy) for more info after I have studied the situation closely.
I have the Ultragauge Blue that connects to the OBDII Port and displays on my phone that I mount on my dash. It connects through blue tooth and multiple gauges can be displayed on the phone including transmission temp. Without getting into it too deeply my transmission displays pretty high usually however the "AT Hot" light has never come on. It usually reads somewhere between 200 deg and 230 deg but sometimes stays lower when in very cool weather. I was never able to get an answer on what the correct reading on my MB Sprinter should be depending on where they read the temperature for the OBDII port. Will be interested in seeing where others temperature reads.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #22

How to connect Transmission Temp gauge

Yes the dash comes off easily but that coin holder is pretty hard to unclip from the dash. But I once it was out I used a Dremel to trim the backside until it fit.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:46 PM   #23

I use the Torque Pro app on my 7 inch tablet, and have lots of info available to display. Just attach the tablet to the windshield with a suction cup adapter.

https://youtu.be/Nv13Nc4FXQY

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #24

Towing a car behind a motorhome shouldn't increase the transmission temperature a degree as the behind vehicle is out of the airstream and doesn't add the the air resistance, the major factor when towing.

If you can monitor it for free, great, but I'd not go to any expense.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Towing a car behind a motorhome shouldn't increase the transmission temperature a degree as the behind vehicle is out of the airstream and doesn't add the the air resistance, the major factor when towing.

-- Chuck
It's not the flats that is the issue, it's hills.

Horrible advice to not monitor transmission temps.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

-- Chuck
Well I don't know how Ford's V10 Setup will do with the Torqshift 6 spd tranny, but I know from experience that my 2010 Chevy Suburban's (V-8 Vortec) trans temp would elevate significantly when towing my car trailer. Trailer was about 5500 lbs and well within the Suburban's 7500 tow capacity but thru the mountains I would watch the trans temp climb well above 200 from its usual 185... getting to 220 even 230 and higher. And it did have the tow package with secondary small cooler. I had a third cooler installed and that took care of it. Until I have a gauge on my Ford I have no clue how the temp will fare on that. It may be fine, it may not, but I'm more comfortable keeping an eye on it. My 2016 Durango has a dash display option for trans temp like the Suburban did and I watch the trans temp any time I am towing with it.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrosecity View Post
I was pleased to learn Steve-W is using the ScangaugeII and found the Xgauges easy to program. I should be receiving my Scangauge from amazon in the next day or so and will be installing it and setting it up sometime soon. I liked Tombsy's suggestion to install in the 'coin holder compartment.' I think the trick will be getting that insert out to run the OBD thru the back and down to the port. I will have to study that and may contact Brian (Tombsy) for more info after I have studied the situation closely.
A resource for removing the coin tray.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-257893.html

Gentle prying from the fromt or you can access the clip from the rear if you remove the dash cover.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #28

Transmission heat is generated during shifts and if the torque converter doesn't lock up. As long as you're towing within published limits you're good to go. I monitored transmission temp, transmission lock-up, cylinder heat temp for several years and never had any go alarmingly out of range. But I was within towing specs. Scan gauge.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:11 PM   #29
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
It's in his signature...E450.
I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. As I clearly stated, when you want to know about transmissions and engines, simply telling us the model of your car/truck will never be enough.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. As I clearly stated, when you want to know about transmissions and engines, simply telling us the model of your car/truck will never be enough.
LOL...his model chassis comes with ONE type of transmission( 6 spd TorqShift). I knew EXACTLY what transmission he had from that. Like I said...his info was in the signature.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
LOL...his model chassis comes with ONE type of transmission( 6 spd TorqShift). I knew EXACTLY what transmission he had from that. Like I said...his info was in the signature.
Yep 6 spd TorqShift is exactly what the newer E-450's come with along with the V10. It's supposed to be a pretty bulletproof setup. But I have been driving and towing a very long time and have read up extensively on transmission temps and towing. From what I recall, 245 degrees is kind of the danger point. A hot tranny doesn't normally mean instant failure... it simply results in burnt fluid. "torque converter lock up" is something I don't know much about. Obviously if that happens due to overheating you have been way over the limits. Again I say from my own experience with my V-8 Suburban, that "towing within published limits" is definitely no guarantee your fluid temp won't overheat. With adequate cooling, then it will not. And monitoring it with a gauge is the first step to determine whether an additional cooler is warranted, as it was with my Suburban.

The fluid condition monitoring technique always used to be to pull the trans fluid dipstick and get some between you fingers... it should be cherry red and should NOT have a burnt smell. Brown fluid and burnt smell = transmission wear and means you should change the fluid and filter right away. Many newer vehicles have made this difficult and eliminated the dipstick. I haven't had my new coach long enough to know if there is a trans fluid dipstick or not. Anyone know the answer to that? I've only put 1000 miles on my rig so far. Planning some extended travel next year so I am prepping for that.

In any case, I have ordered the ScangaugeII and will be trying it soon. Tip of the hat to SteveW for the etrailer link for "removing the coin tray." I'll play with that is as well and see if I can route the cable down behind the dash to the OBD receptacle down below the steering column.

thanks to everyone for ideas and suggestions.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:46 PM   #32

Just a heads up the clip that holds the coin tray was really really tight, I know people have broken it attempting to get it out. I had a hard time even with the dash unclipped but once you have it pulled out it’s wide open to route the cable.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #33

thanks Brian... I will approach it cautiously