Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,154
Folks, this requires a Electrician to make sure there is a Neutral. OP stop, save your rig and life please!


A RV 50 amp outlet indeed does have 240 on it as well as the poster up^ stated, This is between the two hot legs which measure 240 and each hot leg to Neutral measures 120 V. If both side of the hot are wired to the same leg in the panel you neutral current is double what the wire can handle bring things up.

It is not 2 phase it is 2 legs for a single phase 120/240V service. Normal home service.

A large campground might have 3 phase service then indeed you have 2 phases of a 208 3 phase service.
__________________

__________________
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3575 Elite with Reese Sidewinder
2016 Ford F 350 SD PS 6.7 SRW Crew Pucks and Reese 18 K Elite

2013 Rockwood 8289WS 2012 Rockwood 2703 SS TT 2007 Golden Falcon 38FLA PM 1983 Corsair 21RB
2015 Ford F250 PS '13 F150 3.5 Eco '09 F150 5.4 l 1987 Merc Grand Marq 1982 Ford E250 CW
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
 
elind's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Upper Penisula Michigan / Arizona
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkeeh View Post
NO..NO..NO His outlet is wired 240V. The breaker needs to be changed to 120V......and the outlet rewired. You cant plug an RV into a 240V outlet!!!!

Well I guess you can...but only ONCE.
On a 240v outlet their will be two hot wires, one neutral, and one ground. Each of the two hot wires will produce 240v when connected together. If you run one hot to a neutral it produces 120v. So if you disregard one hot wire and use the second hot, neutral, and a ground wire you can make a 30 amp RV outlet work at 120v. Then just replace the twin 40 amp breaker for a single 30 amp breaker to the second hot wire in the breaker box. This should be done by a qualified electrician that knows RV wiring.


ps. My 50 amp service to my RV is 240v with 120v powering up two sides of my breaker box.
__________________

__________________
Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:50 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 61
This is some great info. Thanks much. Now that I have read carefully all that have responded to my thread, I may just hire an electrician. I have gotten so far as planning to use a single pole 30 breaker where the two pole breaker is now that powered the welder in the garage. I have also got hold of a 30 amp receptacle for the RV shore power cord to plug into. I have not yet done any wiring or changing at the panel. The 50A receptacle is only three wires so thats easy. The panel has a double pole with 40 each to cover the 50amps needed for the welder. In taking out that double pole and replacing it with a single pole, I was going to use the white on the breaker to become the new neutral and connect it to the other neutrals. Then the garage receptacle white wire also becomes the neutral with the black hot and the copper as the ground in the new 30A receptacle. Does this sound right to you electrical gurus???
__________________
Doug Michaels
2015 Solera 24W
Three big dogs
One wife
Two kayaks, One SUP
Bend, Oregon
Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:15 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Poconos, PA
Posts: 79
A 240 volt 50 amp receptacle does not necessarily have a neutral.. It could be a welding outlet which is only 2 hots and a ground.. This could be changed at the panel box along with the correct 30 amp 120 volt breaker and receptacle.. Some of the answers here are misleading... A picture or two would have eliminated the confusion..

Joe
meganjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:22 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Poconos, PA
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Folks, this requires a Electrician to make sure there is a Neutral. OP stop, save your rig and life please!


A RV 50 amp outlet indeed does have 240 on it as well as the poster up^ stated, This is between the two hot legs which measure 240 and each hot leg to Neutral measures 120 V. If both side of the hot are wired to the same leg in the panel you neutral current is double what the wire can handle bring things up.

It is not 2 phase it is 2 legs for a single phase 120/240V service. Normal home service.

A large campground might have 3 phase service then indeed you have 2 phases of a 208 3 phase service.
You can not very easily wire both sides to the same leg.. the breaker will not let you do that ( if installed correctly) ..

Joe
meganjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
jtstromsburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Stromsburg, Nebraska
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solera View Post
This is some great info. Thanks much. Now that I have read carefully all that have responded to my thread, I may just hire an electrician. I have gotten so far as planning to use a single pole 30 breaker where the two pole breaker is now that powered the welder in the garage. I have also got hold of a 30 amp receptacle for the RV shore power cord to plug into. I have not yet done any wiring or changing at the panel. The 50A receptacle is only three wires so thats easy. The panel has a double pole with 40 each to cover the 50amps needed for the welder. In taking out that double pole and replacing it with a single pole, I was going to use the white on the breaker to become the new neutral and connect it to the other neutrals. Then the garage receptacle white wire also becomes the neutral with the black hot and the copper as the ground in the new 30A receptacle. Does this sound right to you electrical gurus???
Think you are correct! Not too difficult, just be safe. Sounds like you all ready have a decent understanding of electricity.
__________________
Joel and Teresa
2016 Sabre 34TBOK
2006 GMC 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4
jtstromsburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
mikkeeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Mount Vernon, Ohio
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkeeh View Post
NO..NO..NO His outlet is wired 240V. The breaker needs to be changed to 120V......and the outlet rewired. You cant plug an RV into a 240V outlet!!!!

Well I guess you can...but only ONCE.


My apologies......I stand corrected My previous hands on RV experience is with a buddy who had 30A plug and assumed he could use it in a regular dryer (240) outlet.....which obviously didn't work. I never realized the a 50A RV plug had 2 hots, and the 50/30 adaptor only linked to 1 side.....thus utilizing 120V. Sorry bout the mis-information.
mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganjoe View Post
You can not very easily wire both sides to the same leg.. the breaker will not let you do that ( if installed correctly) ..

Joe
Joe, I am aware of this but if someone use 2 seperate breakers, just because they are there, they can do this. Seen it done before.
__________________
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3575 Elite with Reese Sidewinder
2016 Ford F 350 SD PS 6.7 SRW Crew Pucks and Reese 18 K Elite

2013 Rockwood 8289WS 2012 Rockwood 2703 SS TT 2007 Golden Falcon 38FLA PM 1983 Corsair 21RB
2015 Ford F250 PS '13 F150 3.5 Eco '09 F150 5.4 l 1987 Merc Grand Marq 1982 Ford E250 CW
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Poconos, PA
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkeeh View Post
My apologies......I stand corrected My previous hands on RV experience is with a buddy who had 30A plug and assumed he could use it in a regular dryer (240) outlet.....which obviously didn't work. I never realized the a 50A RV plug had 2 hots, and the 50/30 adaptor only linked to 1 side.....thus utilizing 120V. Sorry bout the mis-information.
If the original 50 amp outlet bought into question is a 50 amp rv outlet then there would be a neutral there and all you would need would be the 50 to 30 adapter like you would use at a campground..

I think the confusion is wheather or not that is the case..

Joe
meganjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #20
SaubleGuy
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 13
Different types of 50A receptacles ie: 2wire welder, 4wire RV, 4 wire range. Need to understand what you're looking at. The wire can definitely be reused for your 30A RV receptacle. Dogbone adapters are only available if it is a 50A RV receptacle - wont work if its a range receptacle. Check the voltage at the receptacle when you're done the mod to make sure its 120!
__________________

Saubleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 PM.