Old 07-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #11

Thanks for the advise. Really new at this, so all advise was appreciated.

wolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:42 AM   #12
I toke pic of mine as to how it is set up, but I have not had a chance to post them, but I will by to night.

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #13
Ok Here It Is........

Pic #1 shows a 350 Watt inverter from Radio Shack, notice the wire with the RED DOT, this wire is connected to the inverter at one end (THE SUPPLIED POWER SIDE) the other end that you can not see is connected directly to the buss bar in the breaker panel and the other wire is connected to the common.
Take note of the wire with the GREEN DOT, this wire is the supply power from the inverter and connected to a second receptacle I have installed in the refrigerator access service panel on the out side of the camper.
Pic #2 shows the refrigerator access service panel.
Pic #3 shows the second receptacle I have installed and as you can see there is a Green DOT on the cover plate, this is where the wire with the GREEN DOT from pic #1 terminates. Once the inverter is powered up this receptacle is hot and is supplied with 115-120 volts.
Now note the wire with the YELLOW DOT, this plug and receptacle is installed by the factory and it is your refrigerator connection. Now the way this works from the beginning.....Two days before we head out to camp, I turn on the refrigerator, once it is at operating temperature ( about 34 degrees) we load up the refrigerator. Now getting ready to leave..... with the camper hooked up to my truck, I turn off the refrigerator unhook house power then unplug the YELLOW plug from it's original receptacle and then plug it in to the receptacle I installed then I go in side of the camper and turn on the inverter and then the refrigerator. While I am driving the trucks electrical system is charging the battery to the camper as the power is used by the refrigerator....The refrigerator does not run all of the time, only when it needs to so it can maintain temperature. One might say "WHAT NO BREAKER" the inverter has a 30 amp fuse right next to the power switch for protection. There is one thing I am going to change, and that is the wire with the GREEN DOT, I am going to install 12 gauge copper wire, I have notice a voltage drop and it is boarder line. The wire I used was supplied with the inverter. I hope I have made myself clear and I hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2432.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1697   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2434.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1698   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2433.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1699  
Old 07-29-2009, 05:09 AM   #14
As stated there are two camps on traveling with propane on, for or against. I have always run with it on over the last 20 years we have been camping. One year we tried the 6 hour trip from home to Myrtle Beach with it off. The contents were cool but not cold when we arrived so I decided not to repeat that experiment. Trips of under 2 hours can be done without significant loss of coolness in the refrigerator.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:06 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Rockwood06, that is a great alternative to those that don't want to go down the road with propane on.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #16
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by wolter View Post
I was told that it was dangerous to travel with the propane on. It seems like ever person we talk too tells us that it has to be turned off when traveling.
i can tell you that i read about this subject on various RV forums and vast majority use propane in transit. i'd say close to 80-90%.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #17
Cardinal 04 31LE
I use the propane feature on my unit, it automatically switches to propane when 110V is not connected. I have two 30 # tanks one turned on the other off. I just returned from Myrtle Beach where the trip was 11 hours each way, excluding a 2.5 hour breakdown on I-95 about 30 miles south of VA on a VERY HOT SATURDAY afternoon our food and drinks remained cold and boy was I happy!
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #18
Mr.B, sorry to hear about your break down. With the inverter set up in the event of a break down or for any other reason the fridge can be put back into regular service just by turning of the inverter and putting the plug to the fridge back into It's factory installed receptacle then turn on the propane, you still need power for the fridge in any case. Glad you and your family made it back safe, I hope everyone had fun.