Old 11-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Explorer

Hydrometer questions; new 6V

Well I did the jump to 6V Trojan T145s. I had initially changed out my stock converter with Progressive Dynamics PD4635. In everything I read, this seemed to be the right path for good/better power storage. I am keeping a BatteryLog to better understand and maintain batteries properly: hydrometer readings, voltage, when/how-much DI water was added, general charging maintenance.
This is my problem: I am not getting any better performance than I had with my two 3yr old truck batteries(series 31). After checking with a hydrometer multiple times over 2 months, my battery cells are continually read 1.243-1.250, after full charge(several days) and then allowed to rest 12hrs. I read Trojan’s Maintenance/Testing and it says if your not reading “factory specification of 1.277 +/- .007” there is an issue and should be resolved.
So, after talking with and testing the batteries at the distributor(they claim there is no bad cell and readings of 1.250 is OK), calling Trojan Tech. Department(they said I should get 1.270), calling ProgressiveDynamics(no way to increase voltage), I think I found my problem.
All of Progressive Dynamic’s converters are set to charge a high voltage BoostMode 14.4 then NormalMode 13.6 then StorageMode 13.2.
Trojan’s recommendations for Charger Voltage Settings for Deep-Cycle Flooded/Wet: DailyCharge 14.8 then AbsorptionCharge 14.1-14.7 then a FloatCharge 13.2 and for Equalize 15.5.
I called a tech. help line at a distributor for Progressive Dynamics and he said I should be fine with my converter and that this is the unit he recommends most often. He said there was only one brand of converter that he knew of that charged at 14.7 but that the brand was not built as well as Progressive.
What do you all think, do I need a converter with a higher voltage?
My converter does not do an equalization mode, do I need to? I did read of a, not so expensive, product that use a “frequency charge” to take care of sulfation.
Am I just over thinking the hydrometer readings?
Thanks all
John

43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Denver, CO

I think you have accurately place the problem. the PD unit is not designed to charge the Trojans to full charge. This is not uncommon. you are probably missing the top 10 or so percent of the battery capacity. and there is nothing you can do about it without buying another charge that has a higher (or adjustable) and temperature compensating absorbtion rate.

I have an older Ample power charge manager that I use when dry camping to get as much out of the charge as I can, but use the stock charger the rest of the time. The Powertap is not sold anymore, but has a number of charge algorithms that include a 12.8 setting for 6 volt deep cycles.

Looking at my battery monitor, the Ample power charge gives me almost 20% higher state of charge than my WFCO POS

I know that the Xantrex TruechargeTM 10 & 10TB Battery Chargers – 12 volt have adjustable voltage settings to 14.8 volts and there are probably others.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
Explorer

I was hoping I had missed something else.
The ‘learn as you go’ method sure can get expensive and I thought I had done enough research.
The wife isn’t going to be happy about this one.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Found this after a short search:

http://www.ibexbatterysystems.com/ge...1_5!115acg.htm

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I don't think the 1.5 amp capacity of that is going to work for this situation.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
Denver, CO

Yeah, that's bit low, even the xantrex at 10 amp would take awhile..

THis is what I have, which I put together for a sailboat I had years ago, put it on a piece of starboard and have transferred it from boat to RV over the years. I have a pic here of the charge manager in my plenty cramped battery storage area.

Smart Charge Manager and 55 amp power supply.

Ample Power Smart Chargers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	038.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	42861  
Old 11-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Explorer

Thanks for the info. Thanks garbonz
No body mentioned anything about the equalization mode 15.5V, my thoughts are it should probably done once or twice a year to preserve the longevity of the battery’s life. I did a quick search yesterday and found very few home chargers that had this function. Can anyone recommend one?
My plan on my converter is to use the WizardMode(manual override) to force it into the BoostMode of 14.4V charge mode. The BoostMode is supposed to automatically shut off as it detects a change in battery status. I don’t know how fast this will happen so I will try to force this mode for four or five hours the day before a trip and again on returning home.
I also have a questionable thought of having some of my tech friends look at the board to see if the voltages could be bumped up. I should look for the schematic and wire diagram before I go this way.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
Denver, CO

interesting, not sure that additional time at 14.4 will have the desired effect. The abs algorithm runs the absorbtion mode to a very small current before going to float. when you are holding at 1 or 2 amp at the end of absorption, I'm not sure what a few more hours will do. You really need to run the voltage up to 14.8 to pack the cells up up up.

Get the xantrex or comparable or just live with what you got.