Old 06-23-2015, 11:46 PM   #1

Smile I fixed my Lippert stabilizer 2014 Wildwood 31KQBTS

...or maybe I just got lucky. My wife and I were sure we toasted the motor or something to the front stabilizer on our then 3 month old TT. Not paying attention, we had hit the switch and the remote at the same time. Then nothing. All fuses checked out. Last thing was to try apply voltage to motor directly to see if it was the problem. Hoped not. New motor = $300+.
I had one final idea before removing the motor, which was to bypass the auto-resetting fuse tucked under the skirting just a few inches from the extend/retract switch. I removed the nuts holding the two wires to the terminal posts on the fuse housing, and held the wires together with a small clamp, completing that connection. Power was restored to the motor. I removed the auto-resetting fuse and noticed that it had collected some dirt and scale, as it is not protected very well from road spray. Before reinstalling it I applied some dielectric grease to any part that relies on a sound electrical connection. It is working fine now, and if it fails to reset in the future, we may have to replace it. But still far less $ than a new stabilizer motor!
Two of my Dad's wise sayings were ringing in my ears..."check out the simplest solution first", and "bright and tight" when working on 6v or 12v dc electrical connections. (That was old tractor talk)
A number of folks have problems with stabilizer electrical. Hopefully what I did could save someone from a costly and maybe unnecessary repair.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:01 AM   #2
Just a member

Indeed, many of us have found that the auto reset will not unless the system is isolated from the battery. Quick and easy if you've got a battery disconnect. Not so much if you don't. Or, you could do it your way and discover that FR could certainly do a better job protecting some of the external wiring/elect components.

)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #3

Jack problem with local switch, remote OK

On our new 2015, 27RLS Wildcat the local switches for the jacks will not work. Jacks work with remote so it shouldn't be a Circuit Bkr prob. Do any of you know where the remote functions "controller" is located? Seems there needs to be a relay box for remote functions, awining, lights, jacks.
Burk
Old 08-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #4

On our Wildwood, the receiver and relays are under the fridge.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burk View Post
On our new 2015, 27RLS Wildcat the local switches for the jacks will not work. Jacks work with remote so it shouldn't be a Circuit Bkr prob. Do any of you know where the remote functions "controller" is located? Seems there needs to be a relay box for remote functions, awining, lights, jacks.
Burk

I'm having the same problem on my brand new 2016 31KQBTS. The switches stopped working. Unfortunately I did not know about the remote so after checking all the fuses I eventually cranked up the jacks manually. (I found the remote later that day after setting up at the campground... first trip out with it)

I'm taking mine in for service for this and several other issues I have found and will let you know the "official solution"
Old 06-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burk View Post
Burk
The switches seem poor. The front jack one quit on the first trip. A little wiggle and some contact cleaner has it working for now.
My control panel and fuses are also under the fridge.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #7
Head Rambler

FYI -- Just a note about the remote wiring for these RV's. The power to the manual switches is supposed to be ran from the receiver, BUT on the systems I've seen they are not! They are ran directly from the manual switch to the motors.

The reason for wiring it like the instructions say is to prevent the remote and the manual switches from sending power at the same time. This is to prevent creating a direct short by pressing the up button on the manual switch and the down button on the remote at the same time.

Just be careful if you have help, making sure that the manual switch and the remote button isn't activated at the same time. At least not in opposite directions.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkosu04 View Post
I'm having the same problem on my brand new 2016 31KQBTS. The switches stopped working. Unfortunately I did not know about the remote so after checking all the fuses I eventually cranked up the jacks manually. (I found the remote later that day after setting up at the campground... first trip out with it)

I'm taking mine in for service for this and several other issues I have found and will let you know the "official solution"
I guess I never replied to this... I eventually found (before my service appointment) that there was another fuse panel under the refridge. This had a blown fuse, and replacing the fuse made the jacks work with the button.

Its very frustrating that Forest River is too lazy/cheap/incompetent to either label the fuse panel location or at least put it in the manual.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #9
Head Rambler

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what you did to fix it. We appreciate it.

Tags
2014, wildwood